Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2017, 01:21 AM

Re: Do you take Turmeric?

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
But I am equally convinced that most of this these supplements are a scam
Again, it is vital here to distinguish between "supplements" and those products of Nature. There is much bunkum out there, such as Homeopathy. There's also a lot of quack potions and pills which are just synthetic nonsense much like the Big Pharma synthetic nonsense.

But the real products of Nature, things like garlic, cinnamon, turmeric, sage, liquorice and tons more besides, are excellent "supplements" if you want to call them that. This is real food, real medicine which does work irrefutably. But there's no real money to be made selling the products of Nature and thus the media, the establishment doesn't devote much time towards informing the public. They prefer to try and synthesise these natural products and turn them into capsule forms which they can then charge a pretty penny for.

Garlic capsules are a prime example. Complete quackery and a waste of money. Their selling point is that they don't have the garlic smell or taste and that tells you that the vital natural compound in garlic, allicin, has been removed in the capsules.

Vitamin C is equally extremely beneficial to us but the capsules and tablets these manufacturers produce are likely very inferior to the Vitamin C we can gain cheaply and simply from lemons, grapefruits and other citrus fruits.

And so it goes on.

There's no straight answer to the question of supplements. Some of them work very well, such as liquorice root capsules for dental infection/abscess. Others likely don't work well. You have to do your research to work out what's what and ultimately give them a try. However I would always reach for the genuine product of Nature if one exists.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 12:27 PM

True, that. Many vitamin supplements are nothing more than chemistry sets in a bottle. I personally take a multi - mostly because I don't feel I get enough nutrients from food alone - and I often wonder if I'm wasting my time (and money) with it or not. I take the vitamins that are made from fruits and vegetables. But honestly, how much fruit and vegetable can you squeeze into one pill?
sarah kay
kent
sarah kay is female  sarah kay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 09:17 PM

when roasting cauliflower in oven is it soft or hard hate hard cauliflower?
Senex
California, USA
Senex is male  Senex has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2018, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Following quite a bit of media attention about Turmeric I decided to do my own research and among others, I came up with this.....

https://draxe.com/turmeric-benefits/

Does anyone else take Turmeric? And if so, have you noticed any benefits?......

How do you take yours?
I learned of its benefits long ago from an Ayurvedic doctor. I take one once powdered Tumeric, mix with an ounce of powdered Ginger, put it into a shaker bottle, and sprinkle some into pretty much every meal I make. Never noticed any benefit though.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2018, 05:21 PM

Have never bought Tumeric Capsules, but I do use Tumeric in Curries and Rice.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2018, 05:29 PM

I tend to think if turmeric was so good why don't doctors prescribe it - or at least tell us about it.

As much as I'd love to believe in it I can't.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2018, 09:05 PM

I've been stirring a teaspoon full of Turmeric in my porridge for over a year now. I can't say I've noticed any benefits, but then it's supposed to help prevent inflammation among other things. And as with any preventative, it's difficult to know if it's working or not, other than the fact that since I started taking it I haven't suffered any injuries or illnesses and have managed to complete an unbroken year of running.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top