Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2017, 07:25 PM

Jacket Potato, Leek & Taleggio Traybake.

Hi, Has anyone tried this recipe before? I watched a cookery programme on television earlier this week and it was one of the dishes they showcased. I've even forgotten who on earth it was as I was frantically typing up the recipe as they were demonstrating it. It looked soooo nice when they took it out of the oven. Thought to myself - got to try this one this weekend. I managed to get all of the recipe so if anyone wishes to try it out as well here it is below. It will if you are like me, involve a traipse to the supermarket or Deli counter to get the correct cheese though as it is a cheese that I would never have in my Fridge. In fact, I had never even heard of it and was sure they wouldn't have it at our local cheese counter. Sure enough they didn't stock it! It was called Taleggio, which is the perfect cheese that melts into the dish. Thank goodness they gave two alternative cheeses that are just as good that we can use. Either Gruyere or Brie will do the trick. Unfortunately other cheeses such as Mozzarella are no good as it stretches as it cooks and we need the cheese to lovingly melt into the dish. Hence only the three above mentioned cheeses will do it.

Taleggio is the number one, and if not, Gruyere or Brie.

I should imagine if doing the the Vegetarian version you would omit the Bacon and use an alternative to Cream..

PREHEAT YOUR OVEN TO 200C/400F/180Fan/Gas 6.

INGREDIENTS AND WHAT YOU WILL NEED.

1 Oven baking tray

1 deep sided tray or dish

4 x Medium sized Potatoes (not too large)
2 x Leeks (use the green part as well, sliced lengthways first then sliced )
75ml(2.1/2fl oz) of White Wine (hic)
8 Rashers of Streaky Bacon
1 clove of Garlic (sliced very thinly)
1 x Shallot (Sliced thinly)
25g(1oz) Butter
300ml(10.1/2fl.oz) carton of Double Cream.
Salt and Black Pepper for seasoning
Salt to sprinkle into 4 little piles onto the flat Oven tray to bake the Spuds. (preferably Sea Salt)
150g(5.1/2oz) Taleggio Cheese (chopped roughly) If not, Gruyere or Brie is fine.

First prepare the oven baking tray by sprinkling some salt (preferably sea-salt) into four little piles in which you will place your 4 jacket potatoes on top. This helps to make the skins nice and crispy during baking.

After first scrubbing and drying your jacket potatoes with kitchen paper, rub some oil all over them and place them on top of the four little piles of salt. Prick each potato on top with a fork a few times and pop them into the oven for one hour or until the potatoes are tender and the skins crisp.

When you take the potatoes out of the oven, transfer them and put tray back into oven and turn oven up to 220.

In the meantime, heat a largish frying pan medium to hot, throw in the butter, shallot and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the Leeks and cook for a further 2 minutes. Stir gently.
Add the white wine and cook until the liquid has reduced by half. Now add the cream stirring gently to combine and continue cooking for a further 3-4 minutes, or until thickened. Season with Salt and Black Pepper.

When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut into quarters and lay them face down in a deepish oven tin.
Pour the Leek Sauce over the Potato quarters.

Now it says to add Tallegio cheese to the top of this dish because it is the perfect cheese to use ( it apparently has the perfect flavour).You can use the alternative of Gruyere or Brie as they have same qualities and taste. You cannot use something like Mozzerelo or any other cheese as Mozzerelo will stretch rather than melt as it cooks and we don't want that. The same with any other cheese, it just won't achieve that authentic taste that comes with this dish. (according to them).

Anyway, slice or chop the chosen cheese and sprinkle over the dish.

fry the streaky bacon to your liking in a little oil, cut into largish pieces and sprinkle over the cheese.

place in the oven to cook for about 10 minutes on 220.

I found an image of the dish but can't find the same recipe.
I hope when I try it, it tastes as nice as it looks.

Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	recipe-image-legacy-id--195553_10.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	3483  

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top