Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 06:27 PM

Re: Do You Make Your Own Gravy??

Yes it is different for each kind of meat and involves roasting bones if there are any, vegetables, garlic and herbs and using the meat juices.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 07:32 PM

I never cook a joint, apart from a lamb shank, but prefer to use gravy granules. I use the stock pots for my casseroles.

I always remember mum getting out the bistro when we were kids. Yum.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 08:09 PM

I was a working mum and when my daughter was a nipper it was such a trauma to get her to eat food.

So, to get her juices rolling, Sunday's I did a roast... but she would only 'eat' lamb. She refused to even try gravy done from the meat juices. Some bright childminder had introduced her to Bisto

To cut the story short, Sunday roast went out of the window as she preferred to vomit it up instead, but she still liked Bisto, so she got that over whatever I managed to get down her.

Years later, I met a chap and he did a test on her. He made Bisto gravy and gravy done with onion (which she hated) and meat juices. He made her try each one and say which she preferred. Guess which she chose?

Gravy done with the onion and meat juices
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Yes it is different for each kind of meat and involves roasting bones if there are any, vegetables, garlic and herbs and using the meat juices.
The basIcs are the same

Rest your joint on a bed of root veg, choice is yours

Give your meat at least 30 mins resting. Wrap in foil and a tea towel to keel warm. Then whilst that’s happening drain the fat from the pan leaving as much meat juice and veg as possible. Heat and smash the veg up. Add a tablespoon or more of flour. And cook out. Add wine if you have it and cook out a while Mash the veg down , add more water if required, boil and simmer a while. Strain and boil till as thick as you like

Herbs should be added to compliment the meat. Dry add them early, fresh near the end
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I make a traditional roux: melted butter and an equal amount of wheat flour, cooked over the lowest possible flame until it takes on a sight tan color and smells faintly of nuts. To that I add what ever drippings I have from roasting, slowly cook down until thickened. If it is now too thick I add water and perhaps a Knorr cube or a can of broth
Depending upon what I'm serving I may add a splash of wine, sautéed mushrooms and/or a spoonful of tomato sauce.
A man after my own heart - I am drooling on the keyboard here !!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Please don't use stock or gravy cubes - most of them contain crap like yeast and other 'flavour enhancers'.

Here's how to make stunning gravy from scratch:

- Cook your beef joint as usual - when done remove the joint (wrap in foil) but leave the juices in it.
- When ready to make the gravy, heat, and when hot enough, deglaze with red wine.
- Once the alcohol has pretty much evaporated, let cool.
- Once cooled, add small amounts of arrowroot powder (it's gluten free) and mix into a smooth paste.
- Then slowly add warm or cool water or stock from veg (not hot!)
- Keep doing this until you have a bit more than your intended amount (it will reduce and thicken later)
- Then add quite a bit of rosemary and thyme and salt and pepper to taste
- Then heat it up while stirring - it will thicken... and...

..it will be the best gravy you've ever tasted

....and it will also actually be GOOD for you
That sounds delicious Azz.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

23-10-2017, 09:44 PM

Can't beat homemade !
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 09:54 PM

The few times I make gravy , always has to be homemade, with the drippings from the pan.
Yum and yum again
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 11:00 PM

Translation problem. When a Brit talks about roasting "a joint" , what is that exactly ? Are you talking about a bone-in prime-rib roast ? Or perhaps a leg joint ?
U.S. cooks use bones primarily for making broth/stocks etc.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
That sounds lovely Azz... what time do you want us all to arrive for dinner next Sunday?
Up to you

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
That sounds delicious Azz.
It is - give it a go you won't be disappointed I promise!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top