Join for free
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2017, 01:01 PM

Questions about my slow cooker.

I have an oval slow cooker which has 3 settings low, medium, high.
I've bought some liners for it.
I've bought 2 chicken breasts and a stew pack of 3 carrots,
1 onion, 1 parsnip, 1 small swede. Small potatoes.
I also have some chicken stock cubes and a jar of hunters chicken sauce.
Can I cook the chicken breasts whole. If the sauce does not cover the chicken and veg do I add water and stock cubes to cover. Is it ok to put the swede in as last time I had a go making a stew it was very bitter, ok I added all sorts of extra veg last time.
If I put on high setting at about 2 pm will it be ready tonight or am I better to wait till tomorrow and do for longer lower heat.
Sorry but last time I tried using a slow cooker it was so bitter I threw it away and dumped slow cooker.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2017, 01:14 PM

Re: Questions about my slow cooker.

Personally I always cook on high and then turn down to Auto after 3 or 4 hours.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2017, 02:25 PM

I usually put my slow cooker on in the morning and leave it several hours. I start on high until bubbling then turn to low. If you don’t have time I would suggest cutting the chicken in two to make sure it is cooked. I usually fry them first before adding to the cooker with chopped veg etc. For speed also warm any sauce in advance. You will find that although the sauce may not initially cover the chicken and veg, as moisture is produced by them, there will be plenty of sauce. This could be added to later in the cooking if necessary.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2017, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
I have an oval slow cooker which has 3 settings low, medium, high.
I've bought some liners for it.
I've bought 2 chicken breasts and a stew pack of 3 carrots,
1 onion, 1 parsnip, 1 small swede. Small potatoes.
I also have some chicken stock cubes and a jar of hunters chicken sauce.
Can I cook the chicken breasts whole. If the sauce does not cover the chicken and veg do I add water and stock cubes to cover. Is it ok to put the swede in as last time I had a go making a stew it was very bitter, ok I added all sorts of extra veg last time.
If I put on high setting at about 2 pm will it be ready tonight or am I better to wait till tomorrow and do for longer lower heat.
Sorry but last time I tried using a slow cooker it was so bitter I threw it away and dumped slow cooker.
I'll try and answer your questions logically matey.

Yes you can cook chicken breasts whole or you can dice them - your choice.

Doesn't matter that the Hunters chicken sauce and the stock cubes, once placed in the slow cooker, doesn't cover the chicken breasts, some of the moisture in the chicken will leech out anyway. Don't add too much water (if any) as this will water down the sauce.

By all means add the swede, no stew can be called a stew without some decent root vegetables and swede and parsnips are superb in stews. I would go further and (if you have it) add some celeriac too.

It depends what you mean by 'tonight', but yes putting the cooker on at 14.00, it should be ready by say 19.00
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2017, 03:36 PM

Thanks Uncle Joe that's answered all my worries. I'm a bit late turning it on at 2.30 but it just means I'm eating a little later. Thank you.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2017, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Thanks Uncle Joe that's answered all my worries. I'm a bit late turning it on at 2.30 but it just means I'm eating a little later. Thank you.

You're welcome matey - enjoy!!!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top