Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 06:34 PM

Re: Dash cams.

I bought one of these (and one for Marge too), following a recommendation from someone on here.

http://www.carcamerashop.co.uk/mobiu...m-version.html

They are small and unobtrusive, yet provide excellent high definition pictures.

If you buy one, I'd suggest you pay a fiver extra and ask for the capacitor option to be fitted (free). If you then connect to a cigar lighter socket (if they still do them) the camera will turn on when you turn on the ignition and turn off when you turn off or, of course, you can have it hard-wired with the same effect.

I've had no trouble from it for the best part of a year (I think), and I'd recommend it to you.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 08:57 PM

JBR. I think we have gone down this road in the past.
I agree the Möbius makes a good car cam as I also have one. Yes it is very versatile as I also use mine on my model planes and cars. Also for FPV with the added transmitter.
I cannot have a capacitor fitted or hard wire it in, as I said it’s used for other things.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
JBR. I think we have gone down this road in the past.
I agree the Möbius makes a good car cam as I also have one. Yes it is very versatile as I also use mine on my model planes and cars. Also for FPV with the added transmitter.
I cannot have a capacitor fitted or hard wire it in, as I said it’s used for other things.
Ah, I'm sorry. I forgot that it was you who recommended the Mobius.

I take it, then, that you are not considering this particular one for your SiL?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 10:53 PM

Definitely going to recommend the Mobius Action Cams here.

The large dashcams like Nextbase are imo pointless.

They are too large and easily spotted that you couldn't feel happy leaving one in your car when you leave it. In fact you'd be stupid to leave such a dash cam on your windscreen/console in plain sight, it will just entice thieves to break into your car and take it.

To avoid that you'd have to constantly remove the dash cam each and every time you leave the car. Every visit to the supermarket, every time you go out. That's an inconvenience.

Plus then, every time you come back you have to put it back in place and make sure it is pointing in the right direction and plug in the power cable. A nuisance and one that will eventually see the power connection point compromised imo.

You could leave the dashcam in the glove compartment but let's be honest, every thief knows silly people do that. They leave sat nav's in there too. Thieves know they are there because the dimwits leave the windscreen holder in full view still stuck to the windscreen.

My final point is this. If you are going to do dashcams then you need 2 cameras, one front, one back. Deadly serious here. Of al the incidents that occur, rear end shunts are extremely common. If you get shunted you'll want the footage. It might show the driver on their mobile phone, eating, drinking etc.

How inconvenient would having 2 Nextbase dashcams be, having to remove them every time you leave the car etc?

The Mobius cameras sit in the palm of your hand, approx 2 inches long. They are extremely discrete, can not be seen when stood outside the car if you install them well and they perform brilliantly. Recording in full HD with fully configurable loop recording.

If you did want to remove one when you leave the car you are carrying something the size of your car remote key fob. No problem at all.

I now own 4 of these devices.

I have 2 permanently installed in the car, one front, one back.

I carry a 3rd in my trouser pocket everywhere I go, 24x7. I can record anything at a moments notice in full HD and do so completely discretely, unseen. If I am involved in a car accident, the first thing I do is switch it on, get out of my car and make sure I point it at the other driver and anyone in his/her car. I do a walkaround of their car, filming the damage. I point it at the surroundings to capture road and weather conditions and any witness car registrations etc.

This stuff is absolutely vital for any claim.

Within 4 weeks of receiving my first 2 Mobius cameras, my car was rear shunted by a young lad in a Peugeot. He claimed not to have a mobile phone when we asked him for a number. He borrowed my wife's phone to call his dad or other family members who arrived amazingly quickly, within 10 mins and towed his damaged car away.

The lad could have given us any made up old info. False name, address etc.

My handheld dashcam had complete footage of HIM and of his family members who arrived and of their towing vehicle.

The family of the young lad phoned me and asked not to go through insurance. I refused on the basis that it is a known phenomena that many people say they will settle privately but then go back on their word.

I sent everything to the insurance company and they responded instantly, waived my excess, arranged repairs at a really good garage, gave me a courtesy car and all was sorted swiftly.

The dashcam footage made all the difference, not just the footage from the car camera but equally the handheld footage of the driver and the damage to his car.

It was a slam dunk case.

Large dashcams are imo just a waste of time. A discrete device is needed as well as one you can carry around in your pocket.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

24-11-2017, 11:06 PM

Realist, I take your point about front and rear cameras. When Marge retires after Christmas, I'll seriously consider getting rid of my car. At that time I can install my camera in the back window of her (our) car, so we'll have both.

One minor problem, however. My old car has a power socket both in the front below the dashboard, which I presently use, and a second one in the boot. My wife's car doesn't have the extra one in the boot, so I'm not sure how to connect the rear camera to the power.

May I ask how you connect to power for your rear camera?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
May I ask how you connect to power for your rear camera?
Sure

I bought 4 of these, 1 for each camera

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Basically 3m long digi cables.

The important aspect, apart from the length, is the right angled connector that goes into the camera. This is essential because any cable that simply connects straight out of the camera socket will eventually wear the socket, pulling at it with the weight of the cable.

This cable allows you to connect really well with the cable at right angles to the camera so no stress is put on the socket and you can conceal the cable easily then.

I run one 3m cable from the centre console cigarette lighter down to the floor, under the car mat, over to the door, up and inside the door seal and out at the top where it ends behind the sun visor. The only part of the cable that is visible is the small part at the top going to the visor.

The front camera is placed "inside" the visor, i.e between the visor and the roof. The visor keeps it in place and being up there so high it is not readily visible from outside of he car.

The other cable again runs from the centre console (I use a 2 socket USB adapter in the lighter) and goes to the back of the car.

You can work this any way you want really. Just buy a cable long enough to do what you want with it.

Definitely get cables with those right angle connectors though imo.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

25-11-2017, 12:45 AM

Thanks Realist.

That's what I was hoping for: the two cameras run from a single, two outlet USB adaptor.

The cable that came with the camera is just about long enough to extend as far as the front camera, but the back camera will certainly need a longer one.

I'll have to measure up for the rear camera, but hopefully a 3m cable will do.

Very sensible, as you say, to have a rear facing camera. In addition to the reasons you give, one annoyance I find is the occasional tailgater! I make it a practice to gently slow down if one of those prats tries it on. For one thing, should they actually run into me, the damage will be less. For another, slowing them down really seems to upset them!
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 11:06 AM

There are another few cameras that you can use as a dash cam. I know someone that uses a Go-pro.
In the past I have even used a ‘key fob camera’ that was a pre Möbius type. Very small and inconspicuous.
Some of the dedicated dash cams are offered with a second one for the rear window. Also they are Wi-fi so that you can download your video clips to your smart phone.
They also will automatically save the video clip if an accident happens. Something called ‘G force’. Again there is motion detect.
But I expect that you all know this if you keep up with market trends.
If anyone is interested in acquiring a Möbius, they can be got for less than £60 in places.
I should mention that there is a new Möbius model out now. I don’t like it as it has the buttons on the side. So easily pressed when removing it from is holder.
So back to the topic of this thread.
It would seem that I will go for a Nextbase dashcam for my SIL as I feel sure that he would not be happy playing with a Möbius.
What Realist said about using a third one to record vehicle damage and the people, I feel sure that the smart phones would be brought into action for this.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

25-11-2017, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
There are another few cameras that you can use as a dash cam. I know someone that uses a Go-pro.
In the past I have even used a ‘key fob camera’ that was a pre Möbius type. Very small and inconspicuous.
Some of the dedicated dash cams are offered with a second one for the rear window. Also they are Wi-fi so that you can download your video clips to your smart phone.
They also will automatically save the video clip if an accident happens. Something called ‘G force’. Again there is motion detect.
But I expect that you all know this if you keep up with market trends.
If anyone is interested in acquiring a Möbius, they can be got for less than £60 in places.
I should mention that there is a new Möbius model out now. I don’t like it as it has the buttons on the side. So easily pressed when removing it from is holder.
So back to the topic of this thread.
It would seem that I will go for a Nextbase dashcam for my SIL as I feel sure that he would not be happy playing with a Möbius.
What Realist said about using a third one to record vehicle damage and the people, I feel sure that the smart phones would be brought into action for this.
I think I misunderstood your 'SIL' earlier, thinking it was your sister in law. Perhaps it was 'son in law'?

Go on then, where can I get a Mobius for £60? I wish I'd known that earlier!
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK

25-11-2017, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I think I misunderstood your 'SIL' earlier, thinking it was your sister in law. Perhaps it was 'son in law'?

Go on then, where can I get a Mobius for £60? I wish I'd known that earlier!
https://m.banggood.com/Mobius-Mini-1...SABEgLTdPD_BwE
It’s the new version.
My mistake. It is my Son-in-law.
https://m.banggood.com/Mobius-New-Ve...ottom-alsolike
Also the old version.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top