Join for free
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2017, 11:10 PM

Freight Trains in Norway Kill 110 Reindeer in One Terrible Week

How awful this is. Dreadful for the Reindeer and their herders. Surely there must be something done that could prevent this.

http://www.care2.com/causes/freight-...ible-week.html
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2017, 11:23 PM

Re: Freight Trains in Norway Kill 110 Reindeer in One Terrible Week

That is so sad, so many I hope something can be done to prevent further loss.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2017, 11:28 PM

That's awful clumsy. Those poor creatures.
From the pictures, they must already be struggling to find food in the snow, let alone being mowed down as well. So sad.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2017, 11:36 PM

They're migrating herds ..wouldn't you think in this day and age they'd be able to use this GPS stuff to track them and somehow adjust the trains timetable?
Too much to ask I suppose. Time is money.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2017, 12:54 AM

I watched a programme last night about Australia's trains that travel vast distances with dozens of container carriages on them filled up with all types of cargo from grain and straw to coal. Some of these trains are hundreds of yards long so obviously, should something get in their way, they are incapable of stopping in time. All they can do if an animal ventures onto the tracks is sound their horns and hope that the animals get out of the way in time.

The biggest casualties are kangaroos but they might hit the odd sheep if they's somehow got on to the line from a damaged fence. They report sheep sightings and their location to their controller so he or she can contact the farmer and get them recovered and get any fences repaired. Last night's episode saw them hitting a kangaroo and side-swiping a cow that had got in the way and ignored the train's horn. The driver and his engine man couldn't do a thing about it.

I would say it's the same situation mentioned in the OP where a train can't avoid hitting the reindeer. Fences aren't the answer because of their migration but if the migration routes are well known, perhaps a series of blasts on the train's horn at regular intervals approaching the crossing point would allow the herders to move the animals out of the way.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2017, 02:04 AM

Their trains would be welcome here. It's only the Hunters and Shooters party that stops feral deer being declared a pest specie.

It’s perhaps the only issue that has the Greens calling for more shooting, and shooters preferring the existing restrictions.

The problem of a feral deer population which has “exploded” across New South Wales could be dealt with by a simple change in the law, environmentalists told MPs yesterday.

A delegation from Illawarra and beyond, including Wollongong Lord Mayor Gordon Bradbery, travelled to NSW parliament as part of the push to persuade the Government to declare deer a pest species.

This change would make it easier to shoot or cull deer, which have expanded their reach more than 60 per cent across the state over six years, it was claimed.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2017, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I watched a programme last night about Australia's trains that travel vast distances with dozens of container carriages on them filled up with all types of cargo from grain and straw to coal. Some of these trains are hundreds of yards long so obviously, should something get in their way, they are incapable of stopping in time. All they can do if an animal ventures onto the tracks is sound their horns and hope that the animals get out of the way in time.

The biggest casualties are kangaroos but they might hit the odd sheep if they's somehow got on to the line from a damaged fence. They report sheep sightings and their location to their controller so he or she can contact the farmer and get them recovered and get any fences repaired. Last night's episode saw them hitting a kangaroo and side-swiping a cow that had got in the way and ignored the train's horn. The driver and his engine man couldn't do a thing about it.
I wish that was true about the damaged fence and "hundreds of yards long"? More like several kilometres if it is carrying coal in Qld and WA. The only track that is fenced is that near towns (and even then not usually) or electrified line. Electrification in NSW only extends from Newcastle in the north to Kiama in the south and the Blue Mountains in the east ie 100km from Sydney. That is probably true in each state around the capital cities. No one has the money to fence the lines. if they did they would rival the dog fence as the longest fence in the world and that is a mere shadow of its former self

Notice any fences? They don't even fence the roads never mind the rail. This is the main line between Adelaide, Alice Springs and Perth.

I am not being critical but fencing railway lines is just not practical

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	09-10-27 Between Woomera & Peterborough 339.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	4662  
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2017, 08:39 AM

Well since they're in the frozen north, the meat will be well preserved until needed - Reindeer steaks anyone???
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->

. The driver and his engine man couldn't do a thing about it.

I would say it's the same situation mentioned in the OP where a train can't avoid hitting the reindeer. Fences aren't the answer because of their migration but if the migration routes are well known, perhaps a series of blasts on the train's horn at regular intervals approaching the crossing point would allow the herders to move the animals out of the way.

I can only partially understand that Judd.

I can understand if an animal is on the line and doesn't move in time, that is is very likely to get hit/killed.
But I can't, for the life of me, see how they can manage to hit and damage/kill 26 in one go, as it said happened on the first accident.

Then they said last Saturday, they killed 65 in ONE go!
According to that feasibility, there must have been a whole herd of them sleeping on the lines.

And another thing. To hit that many in one go, wouldn't it have derailed the train, or at least damaged it?
The animals are probably used to the sound of the trains, so don't panic, so they should devise some sort of really loud siren with flashing lights, something that would startle them and make them move.

Don't think they are trying very hard, if you ask me.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top