Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 12:28 PM

Not good enough!!!

- There's no batter pudding covering it, so it ain't a 'proper' 'pigs in blanket' !!!

https://www.aol.co.uk/living/2017/12...3D301511276_uk
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 12:50 PM

Re: Not good enough!!!

Never heard of putting batter round a pig in a blanket Uj it's a small sausage in a rasher of bacon here. Or rather a vegetarian sausage in a quorn bacon like wrap
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Never heard of putting batter round a pig in a blanket Uj it's a small sausage in a rasher of bacon here. Or rather a vegetarian sausage in a quorn bacon like wrap

Julie darlin' - another name for 'pigs in blankets' is 'toad in-the-hole'. 'Pigs in blankets' is the American name for it. Not right that it lacks the batter pudding, however if someone offered me some of it, it would an awful shame to waste good food wouldn't it???
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 02:36 PM

Just as a matter of interest , what did we call pigs in blankets way back when. A term I don"t like Frankly . Sounds naff to me.
hey-ho
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 06:49 PM

Here in Canada and the USA pigs in blankets are wrapped in dough, not bacon. They dip them in mustard for a condiment.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Julie darlin' - another name for 'pigs in blankets' is 'toad in-the-hole'. 'Pigs in blankets' is the American name for it. Not right that it lacks the batter pudding, however if someone offered me some of it, it would an awful shame to waste good food wouldn't it???
I make both 'toad in the hole' and 'pigs in blanket' and they are not the same at all. Don't know where you got that idea from.

Let's face it no one else in the world makes 'toad in the hole' it is a purely pommie dish (probably from the 50s?)

Pigs in blankets is, as someone said, sausage wrapped in bacon
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

12-12-2017, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I make both 'toad in the hole' and 'pigs in blanket' and they are not the same at all. Don't know where you got that idea from.

Let's face it no one else in the world makes 'toad in the hole' it is a purely pommie dish (probably from the 50s?)

Pigs in blankets is, as someone said, sausage wrapped in bacon

And then smothered in batter mixture to make toad-in-the-hole!!!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
And then smothered in batter mixture to make toad-in-the-hole!!!
Joe me old pal, me old beauty...

So you do admit it is different?

However I have never had or seen Toad in the Hole with bacon. Toad in the Hole is basically fried sausages in Yorkshire pudding as in the photo.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Joe me old pal, me old beauty...

So you do admit it is different?

However I have never had or seen Toad in the Hole with bacon. Toad in the Hole is basically fried sausages in Yorkshire pudding as in the photo.
Toad in the Hole was one of the first dishes we were shown how to make at school. Definitely just sausages in batter, Bruce 😀
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

13-12-2017, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Toad in the Hole was one of the first dishes we were shown how to make at school. Definitely just sausages in batter, Bruce 😀
Yep, it is one of those old pommie dishes like Faggots and Peas, bread and dripping, Brawn, Haggis etc that no one in their right mind would eat but which are absolutely delicious.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top