Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 02:58 PM

Large Veterinary Practices

I have just been reading an interesting article about some veterinary practice, and how they try to flog us things we don't want or need.
Before I go any further, the article was written by a practicing vet in Hertfordshire.

Someone had written in saying about having their kitten spayed. Upon 'checking in' the owneer felt he was being bombarded with sales talk when offered 'additional extras,' such as kidney/liver tests (£50), a digestable post-surgery food (£2.50), an Elizabethan collar, and even additional pain relief at £18.50 !!

The vet writing the article about this says the practice he first worked in after qualifying back in 1973, has gone from a tiny independent practice to being owined by one of the huge business companies - CVS (UK)Ltd. It is not therefore owned by the vets who work there any more.
This company now owns 410 veterinary practices, employs 1,000 vets and 1,500 nurses, 4 laboratories and 7 (yes 7) pet crematoriums! When they buy yet another practice up, they don't rename it in their name, it keeps the original name, so that most people don't even realise they are no longer dealing with the same small vet practice anymore.
This company also made about £25 million profit in 2016.

It's similr with Pets @ Home, who own 430 veterinary practices in two chains - 'Vets4Pets' and 'Companion Care.'
Again, Pets@Home made a profit of £95 million pounds in 2016/17.

What he goes on to explain is in these huge concerns, the vets have limited choices in decision making.
They are on bonuses - the more they 'sell' the more income they make, and are under pressure to sell unnecessary add-ons to basic procedures.

He finishes up by saying his advice to us, is to find out who actually owns your practice, and if it is one of a large chain. Be aware that the vet giving you advice may just be trying to make that extra sale to meet the monthly bonus, or suggesting many 'extra's' because that is practice policy - NOT because your pet actually needs them.

So there you are folks, a sensible warning straight from the horses mouth so to speak.

BTW, my own vet is an independent practice, thank goodness.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 03:43 PM

Re: Large Veterinary Practices

As an owner we used a small practice that was bought out by pet doctors a huge chain. From day one even though it was same vets we saw the ethos changed entirely. It culminated in a range of tests for allergies costing over £600 that when we found an independent he said meant absolutely nothing and what we had been recommended was actually killing our dog. Thankfully the independent kept him going for a few more years but he died at 8 years old due to the years of mistreatment. I would never go back to a big practice.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 04:47 PM

I don't trust the large vet chains some of whom may have a 'profit motive' .

I go to a small local practice which was voted 'best practice in the country' a few years ago. I have been with the practice on and off (I moved away at one point) since the 60's and my kennel days when I used to be allowed to sit in on operations particularly spays and cesareans where I was permitted to take charge of the puppies .

They are expensive but don't do procedures 'for the sake of it'.
When Chloe was ill in the summer and it was thought the problem was spine related, rather than rushing straight away to do an x ray which would have entailed a general anaesthetic and therefore a degree of risk (be it only small) they opted to try pain relief and rest first which would be less profitable for them.
Happily it worked .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 04:59 PM

I doubt mine will get vet of the year he has terrible reviews, but it's just his love of animals and southa frican gruffness that scares the pants off the owners. If you actually talk to him and listen to what he says without taking offence he's quite brilliant !
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 05:24 PM

Yes we have just left our Vets for another one, because he was so expensive and after Coco being treated with Digestive problems the bill came to £365.00 which half of the stuff was not needed and they even did a blood test on her without telling us first how much it was going to cost, just the blood test alone cost £150.00, they should have asked us first.

Our Vet is called Medivet which is one of the dearest ones around, but that is the nearest to us.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Yes we have just left our Vets for another one, because he was so expensive and after Coco being treated with Digestive problems the bill came to £365.00 which half of the stuff was not needed and they even did a blood test on her without telling us first how much it was going to cost, just the blood test alone cost £150.00, they should have asked us first.

Our Vet is called Medivet which is one of the dearest ones around, but that is the nearest to us.

Gosh, that's dreadful Susie.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 05:38 PM

I've always been registered with an independent veterinary practice. After my last vet retired I joined another local practice which was a bit bigger, but still independent. In fact the owner of the practice I am now with was in partnership at one time with my vet who retired, so I had seen him before with my dogs. Never had much to do with the large chains, but I know they have quite a rapid turnover of vets/staff at our nearest Companion Care, (Pets At Home). I like to be actively involved with my animals' care and believe I get a better service with the independents.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

12-12-2017, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I've always been registered with an independent veterinary practice. After my last vet retired I joined another local practice which was a bit bigger, but still independent. In fact the owner of the practice I am now with was in partnership at one time with my vet who retired, so I had seen him before with my dogs. Never had much to do with the large chains, but I know they have quite a rapid turnover of vets/staff at our nearest Companion Care, (Pets At Home). I like to be actively involved with my animals' care and believe I get a better service with the independents.

To right, Aerolor. I agree with that.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 06:15 PM

I have changed from Holly's free pet insurance with the KC (which expires on 30.12.17), but have cover with another company already started.

I aim to claim back my expenses incurred so far, and if I have to go back next week following the test results (I hope it's before I go away!), then that will add to it.

But the puppy workshop trainer wanted me to ring him today and recommended I stayed with the KC, in case we continue with this vet for her digestive problem. If the results are back before the 30th I can at least claim whatever I pay out for before then.

He has left me in a quandary though, because of the prices charged to me. It is therefore my hope that she is soon sorted out and if I continue with the prescribed food I can at least get them cheaper elsewhere, as also the probiotic paste (which she doesn't like).

Having said that, I'm not sure if they are part of a big company.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 07:16 PM

I think it may well be that your new insurance will not cover Holly for this episode of vet care Jazzi as she had it before you took this new cover out. I think it would be wise to stick with the KC insurance for a while by re-newing with them. You can pay it monthly and then you need not keep it on for a year and can cancel by just telling them and cancelling the direct debit. I say this because insurance companies usually have a waiting period before you can claim anyway and will not cover existing conditions. Have you checked that you can claim with the KC - if so stick with them would be my advice. Once Holly is clear of any vet involvement it will be easier to change insurance provider if you want to. Just to say as well, that the vet has nothing to do with which provider you choose.
By the way, I am pleased to hear that Holly is doing a lot better.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top