Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 08:36 PM

Re: Large Veterinary Practices

I have always used small local vet practices. However, this summer I did use Vets4Pets to have my dog's teeth descaled and cleaned, as they were considerably cheaper than my normal vet. When I took Gypsy in they suggested vsrious tests, including blood tests, all of which I refused. I also refused to let them have my email address. The cost of the clean etc was £90.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 08:45 PM

I thought of doing that, continuing with the KC for now. And yes I DO know the new insurer won't cover her existing illness. I have already declared it.

But won't the KC kick up a stink if they pay out for continuing care then I leave them?! I need to check with my bank if the new insurer had taken my first DD.

She won't eat tonight!! She barked excitedly when I was preparing it but then stopped eating it. So I threw that away, and put down just wet. Wouldn't eat that. I tried a piece of chicken, she left it on the floor but then ate it. But she did enjoy some yogurt and some puppy milk, which I bought yesterday.

I will no doubt be throwing away what's in her bowl shortly, as she is obviously not interested, and has some dried food if she get's hungry later.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 08:50 PM

Both vets practices here are independent.

However there is a world of difference between the two.

For many years there was only the one practice, which I used. But as it had a monopoly it seemed to get a bit big for it's boots, the charges were astronomical.....and I personally feel they were responsible for my last dogs overnight suffering before he died at the tragically young age of three and a half

About 5 years ago another practice opened so when I got the current dog I switched to them. They have been excellent, I have got to know the various different vets and I feel you get a more personal service with them. One of the partners even opened the surgery on a Sunday morning so she could deal with Bailie who had been stung in the mouth by a wasp. And she didn't charge extra just because it was Sunday.

There is a Vets for Pets a few miles away but I don't think I will be switching.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I thought of doing that, continuing with the KC for now. And yes I DO know the new insurer won't cover her existing illness. I have already declared it.

But won't the KC kick up a stink if they pay out for continuing care then I leave them?! I need to check with my bank if the new insurer had taken my first DD.

She won't eat tonight!! She barked excitedly when I was preparing it but then stopped eating it. So I threw that away, and put down just wet. Wouldn't eat that. I tried a piece of chicken, she left it on the floor but then ate it. But she did enjoy some yogurt and some puppy milk, which I bought yesterday.

I will no doubt be throwing away what's in her bowl shortly, as she is obviously not interested, and has some dried food if she get's hungry later.
Mmmm!! having thought about it you would have to check the small print in your contract about cancelling mid-term. It may well make a difference if you have claimed Jazzi.

Depending on how long the food has been down why don't you fridge it and serve it the next meal. That's what I do. Should be OK if it's no been down long. A lot of people (me included) don't leave any food (even dried) down in case they are hungry. My dogs don't get alternatives (Holly had four choices there ). Mine eat it there and then or they wait until the next meal. That way they don't get to pick and choose and they are usually ready for their next meal.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 10:30 PM

I was with a really ruthless practice. They make you feel guilty if you don't buy everything they recommend. As if you are not taking proper care of your pet. Shocking stuff.

The current practice is super ethical. The only thing they advertise is vaccinations with an annual reminder. But they don't then follow up with lots of texts and emails. it's a real old fashioned place, homely and with wooden benches. They have a resident persian cat that wanders about in a superior and fluffy manner.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 11:38 AM

I echo pop it in the fridge, as long as it's covered and not down too long it's fine to serve it next meal.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I echo pop it in the fridge, as long as it's covered and not down too long it's fine to serve it next meal.

. . . as long as you don't serve it straight from the fridge.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
. . . as long as you don't serve it straight from the fridge.
Mine don't seem to mind that I guess they have got used to Frozen kongs etc, although I'd never feed it too cold to a puppy of course.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Mine don't seem to mind that I guess they have got used to Frozen kongs etc, although I'd never feed it too cold to a puppy of course.

That's what I meant.
Anyway, warm, or room temperature food brings out taste and aroma better, makes it more tempting.
It's natural as well, if they killed and ate their prey, it would be warm, they wouldn't stick it in a fridge for later.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's what I meant.
Anyway, warm, or room temperature food brings out taste and aroma better, makes it more tempting.
It's natural as well, if they killed and ate their prey, it would be warm, they wouldn't stick it in a fridge for later.
b.i.b As good as a fridge if they cached it then dug it up from frozen ground and ate it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top