Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 12:28 PM

Foster

We've just been asked to take in a foster dog, poor little girl of 12 apparently the previous owners are getting a puppy for Christmas. I don't understand anyone can throw away a dog they've loved for 12 years my brain is exploding trying to make sense of it. She's lovely really friendly like Tibetan terrier, all she wants is to sit on a lap and be cuddled she's so traumatised her owners have walked away just doesn't understand it either.

Perhaps I'm lucky not understanding would I really want a mind and heart that can do this ? I don't think so.

So looks like Elsie and Betty have a new friend for a while because she won't go out until after new year now.

Jenny is her name.

Just needs a tablet for her arthritis each day and a lap to sit on and she will be ok here for a while.

Betty met her yesterday and they got on fine, Elsie is going to meet her later just to be sure we are not causing problems for ours but she's usually gentle with old dogs so I don't predict a problem.

Picking her up tonight after she's been to the vet just to check her over.

First foster we've had in two years which means the rescue must be rammed at the moment they only use us when absolutely necessary because they know it's harder for us.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 12:47 PM

Re: Foster

Poor litttle soul, being discarded like that. Wicked buggers.
God help the new puppy.

I love the oldies, often so gentle and bewildered.
Good idea to get her vet checked Julie, you have your own dogs to protect too.
Good luck.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 01:42 PM

I don't know how anyone can do that to a poor old dog who has been in the Home for such a long time, I suppose they think she's an old dog let's get a new one, until this one gets old and they will do the same thing.

A dog or cat is for life, not just for Christmas.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 05:38 PM

Itīs quite beyond my understanding how anyone can abandon their pets, Iīve never understood it and I never will understand it. There was a big problem re abandoned pets here when some of the British began panicking with all the Brexit stuff. Off they went leaving their pets behind, also a couple of years or so ago when those who had bought holiday properties suddenly found they couldnīt pay so many mortgages, they just left, often just shutting their pets in the house. Wicked people, no doubt theyīd get another dog or cat back in UK and wouldnīt think twice about dumping it at some point.

I hope all goes well with your foster dog Julie.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 06:28 PM

Hope she settles in with you and good for you taking her in.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 02:28 AM

Julie, you are the best of souls. I know you already have your hands full, so your generosity is even more special somehow.

I can't imagine how confusing and scary it must be for her.

Just a thought, but I learned to do canine massage from youtube videos for my older dogs. I think it relieves some pain, and it's definitely calming.

Good things to you and Jenny!
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 04:56 AM

I saw this earlier, and couldn't respond as it upset me too much, having recently just said goodbye to our sweet old gentleman, Rollie.

Like everybody else, I do not, and never will, understand how anybody can discard a living creature without a second thought. Especially one that's been a part of the family for so many years. It breaks my heart.
The old ones have such wonderful souls. You can see the wisdom in their faces. They're to be loved and looked after, not put aside for a younger model.

Thank you Julie for being so willing to foster Jenny. I'm willing to bet she will give it back in spades.
Let us know how she gets along.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 10:02 AM

Well done Julie
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 11:23 AM

Jenny had her check up, for her age she's really doing quite well a little bit of glaucoma they say so that's what her medication is for, the vet has increased her dosage slightly today, she had a manicure and is walking better for it. I popped her on the draining board and gave her a good shampoo so she smells better too.

Our walk this morning she made several new friends she stuck to Elsie like glue, and Elsie sticks to her humans like glue so only one wandering off for a sniff at things was Betty

She loved the woods we walked through looks like she's not a country girl and it was all a bit new to her.

We are heading down to littlehampton at the weekend so we will see what she's like with the seaside. We'd like a place called rope walk, a nice beach that is.

Grace insisted she go to school this morning with her and has put up posters saying she needs a new home, but if was up to her stiff rules for adoption I have a feeling Jenny will be with us forever. Not happening though we have to be strong about that after our numbers dropped a couple of years ago we realised how much easier two dogs were than three.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

16-12-2017, 10:01 AM

Worryingly we are all saying our Jenny rather than just Jenny !

Elsie adores her and follows her around like a shadow, Betty has invited her into her bed and snuggles up, not like our Betty at all with a strange dog.

Grace had all three on her bed over night and only complaint was how hot she got in the night, well that happens with 4 bodies in one bed

This will be interesting where this one goes I think.

Our Jenny might be here to stay my husband says. The man adamant no more dogs !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top