Join for free
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2011, 12:25 PM

The real heros of WWII youve never heard of!

I often find it amazing that some of the people who risked, and gave, their lives in WWII are not better known.

I am also fascinated that a girl, born in New Zealand and brought up in Australia should find herself in Paris in the run up to the German invasion and decide to join the French resistance.

Sadly she has just died at almost 99 years, full story here:-

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/great-austr...060650478.html
poppycock
hampshire England
poppycock is female  poppycock has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2011, 12:37 PM

Re: The real heros of WWII youve never heard of!

Thats wonderful thanks, when I was young we had a friend whose mum was french but she never talked to anyone at all she was very odd. when she died her daughter found all her papers she too had been in the french resisitance and had been tortured in Ravensbruk concentration camp. Heroes indeed all of them.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2011, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
I often find it amazing that some of the people who risked, and gave, their lives in WWII are not better known.

I am also fascinated that a girl, born in New Zealand and brought up in Australia should find herself in Paris in the run up to the German invasion and decide to join the French resistance.

Sadly she has just died at almost 99 years, full story here:-

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/great-austr...060650478.html
Losos I think that is the nature of the people, they were trusted for their discretion and adhered to the 'need to know' rule even after the war was a distant memory.

We owe them a great deal....
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2011, 04:30 PM

What an amazing woman. Fearless in the face of adversity.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2011, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Losos I think that is the nature of the people, they were trusted for their discretion and adhered to the 'need to know' rule even after the war was a distant memory.

We owe them a great deal....
We do indeed Meg, I still get goose bumps when I think about the young lady who was the subject of the film "Carve her name with pride" even allowing for artistic licence her story just shows that we owe them a tremendous debt, shame that so many have forgotten them now.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2011, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
We do indeed Meg, I still get goose bumps when I think about the young lady who was the subject of the film "Carve her name with pride" even allowing for artistic licence her story just shows that we owe them a tremendous debt, shame that so many have forgotten them now.
...Losos I guess you mean Violette Szabo, there is a museum to this remarkable woman (who was awarded the George Cross ) not far from me in Herefordshire. Violette lost her husband shortly after the birth of her daughter so joined the Special Operations Executive .

http://www.violette-szabo-museum.co.uk/foyer.htm

A Millennium Field (termed "an oasis of green for the next thousand years") has been donated by Miss Rigby - it is one of 250 such fields to be created across the country. This one is of course dedicated to Violette Szabo and in the 3.5 acres of it a commemorative rock was installed at 11am on New Year's Day. Views over the spectacular Black Mountains and a chestnut tree planted by Miss Rigby some 20 years ago, the annual appearance of violets, cowslips, daffodils and primroses all add to the aurora of commitment present in this quiet area next to Miss Rigby's home.
...a fitting tribute in our part of the world to Violette, we will not forget her..
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk

08-08-2011, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
...a fitting tribute in our part of the world to Violette, we will not forget her..
Thank you Meg, that was indeed the name and I think her husband was French, it was his death at the hands of the Nazis which motivated her to join the SOE.

I have some people to see and some things to do in Herefordshire so I will try to visit that memorial, it sounds like a very appropriate memorial to her.

That will probably be in the Spring of next year.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk

08-08-2011, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by poppycock ->
Heroes indeed all of them.
Originally Posted by mesco m ->
What an amazing woman. Fearless in the face of adversity.
And IMO unsung heroes, they and their stories should be better known.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top