Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 09:27 AM

Re: Jpeg Raw and Tiff

For certain images, I save both in TIFF and JPEG, the latter mainly for internet use or e-mail. Can't be bothered with RAW as film will do.....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 09:33 AM

Bruce

You actually came in y when I was really replying to another thread, this is where your confusion is I suspect.
Still never mind your imput is gratifully recieved
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Bruce

You actually came in y when I was really replying to another thread, this is where your confusion is I suspect.
Still never mind your imput is gratifully recieved
Eh? that makes even less sense than your original post.

The confusion is evident in the messages posted after yours say #2 and #3

You'll have to explain why you replying to another post has any bearing on this.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Eh? that makes even less sense than your original post.

The confusion is evident in the messages posted after yours say #2 and #3

You'll have to explain why you replying to another post has any bearing on this.
The other thread is the September photo competition Bruce, where someone asked whether re-saving an image in a different format counted as editing. RS then, set up this thread to try to shed some light on the whole subject but having said that, file ignoramuses (ignorami ?) such as myself still find it all a complete mystery and the original question still hasn't been answered.... at least I don't think it has.....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
The other thread is the September photo competition Bruce, where someone asked whether re-saving an image in a different format counted as editing. RS then, set up this thread to try to shed some light on the whole subject but having said that, file ignoramuses (ignorami ?) such as myself still find it all a complete mystery and the original question still hasn't been answered.... at least I don't think it has.....
Ah! at last some light shone on the matter. I don't think it is your fault to be honest the original post was the most confusing I have ever read (and I have a very basic understanding of the file formats)
Mister_Oy
NW UK
Mister_Oy is male  Mister_Oy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 03:14 PM

Some interesting info here lol. This is science so not really open to opinion as the art side of photography is. I’ll put together my take on how to explain it when I have the time
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mister_Oy ->
Some interesting info here lol. This is science so not really open to opinion as the art side of photography is. I’ll put together my take on how to explain it when I have the time
Thanks Dave, but can you answer the basic question of whether saving a file in a different format would be classed as editing that image, or would it neither enhance nor diminish the quality?
Mister_Oy
NW UK
Mister_Oy is male  Mister_Oy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Thanks Dave, but can you answer the basic question of whether saving a file in a different format would be classed as editing that image, or would it neither enhance nor diminish the quality?
It's not quite that simple.

All files are edited. It's a question of who does that editing. The camera or the photographer.

A RAW file must be edited to some degree before saving as a JPG otherwise it will often look flat and dull. If you shoot a JPG then this editing is done by the computer inside the camera. And the same settings for things like saturation, white balance and contrast will be applied to every shot.

What editing a RAW file does is give you the opportunity to use a much more powerful computer and apply those things selectively according to the needs of the individual shot.

If you broadened your criteria from "no editing other than cropping" to "basic editing such as curves/levels/saturation and cropping etc." then that would cover shooting in RAW then using basic tools on conversion from RAW to get the best out of the individual image.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 05:53 PM

Alles klar, alles gut.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
All I know is that TIFF pictures need much more storage space and are much bigger to send in an e-mail.

Thankfully, I've never needed TIFFs. I find JPEGs quite adequate.
So does the major news agency's from correspondents.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top