Join for free
Page 8 of 11 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 12:41 PM

Re: May's Big Speech

Verhofstadt is mistaken. They can't stop us demanding that people register when they arrive. Where is the EU law to say thats against the rules? We should have always been doing this anyway for simple reasons such as car insurance, criminal record, medical entitlement. We should not have had people coming here and automatically being able to access a GP etc without us knowing their immigration status. Verhofstadt is maybe talking about schengen which we were never in.
Tartlet
UK
Tartlet is female  Tartlet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 01:18 PM

The EU may not be able to stop TM demanding that EU citizens are registered as such but they can certainly refuse to agree to any deal on citizens rights which includes that registration.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 01:24 PM

She doesn't have to tell them then they can take her to court for a two year trial
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Boozer, are you seriously suggesting that we leave in March 2019 without any way of collecting Tariffs from the EU and with no Immigration System in place and without even our WTO Deals we had with over 80 Countries, never mind the ability to negotiate new ones.

If we did that it would cost vastly more than what a Transitional Deal is costing.

I totally agree about the incompetence of May and her Cabinet, I have been posting about this from day one.

We should never have been in this position, but we are.

I see no point in making the situation worse.
I answer you with Theresa Mays well known statement in respect of Brexit.

NO DEAL IS BETTER THAN A BAD DEAL!

End of!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

23-09-2017, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Boozercruiser ->

End of!
She also said "Brexit is Brexit", "Boris is Boris" and "Strong and stable leadership"
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 02:21 PM

Hi

A few points.

I completely agree with Shropshiregirl that we should never have got ourselves into this position, but then my dislike of Theresa May and her intransigent incompetence is legendary.

I have been roundly condemned for posting as such on here many times.

What we are getting out of this transition is quite simple.

We are buying ourselves to do the things we should have been doing from day one after the Referendum.

We are also continuing to get some of the £20 Billion in Tax we get from Financial Services supplied to the EU.

These are not covered by WTO Rules, which cover goods only.

I completely agree that we should not have been in this position, but there we are.

Regarding the Registration of EU Citizens.

We have a bit of a problem here.

The Home Office has just abolished Landing Cards for Non EU Citizens arriving in the UK.

Visitors from Non EU Countries now do not even have to supply an address where they are staying.

Non EU Citizens arriving in the Schengen Area have to give details now.

To allow Non EU in with less controls than EU would be an enormous issue, and quite frankly, a stupid thing to do.

As an aside, a HGV arrived locally this morning, two on board plus a full load.

The drivers are Polish and the vehicle was loaded in Poland.
It came through Calais, ID Cards checked, but not the vehicle ,it was waved through, not checked for illegals.

Calais is the main port where illegals sneak onto the waggons.

The drivers think we are mad.

They do the Ukraine/Poland Border crossing frequently, and they are used to waiting hours to have the vehicle checked before it is allowed to pass Polish Border Control.

They have never not had their vehicle searched at the Polish Border.

They are also used to being pulled over on the Autobahn in Germany for spot searches of their vehicle.

Last time I was in Poland, I had a two hour Coach journey between Krakow and Rzeszow .

The coach was pulled in to Service Area, every body off and get your luggage and stand by it.

All ID cards and Passports checked, they have mobile scanners and sniffer dogs up and down the line.

Even the Nuns were checked, which they took in good spirit.

One passenger was whisked away, in handcuffs, no messing.

A simple question, who are the Idiots here?

The UK, the Polish or the Germans?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
...what I personally object to, and yes, it is a whinge, is that after 2019 for those two years, we will still be ruled over by those elite ostriches in Brussels on every factor of our lives, our fishing waters will still be plundered, free movement will still be allowed, we will still be governed by both the EU and the ECHR with our laws.

I only hope TM's act of humble pie yesterday doesn't come back to bite her on the backside! I feel she has shown her hand and the EU must see that we have a very weak and divided government. I see TM now in exactly the same position as Cameron when he went cap in hand to the EU elite and came back with crumbs. Merkel will be back on the scene come Monday. God help us then.

Brexit seems to be becoming more and more remote.

It's very depressing.
I'm afraid you are quite correct.

I have a horrible feeling that our attempts at Brexit - democratically decided, I should add - may well reflect the events in Ireland that you mention.

Contrary to your hopes, I hope that this speech DOES come back to bite her on the backside, and that she loses her position as PM as a consequence. After all, she is not acting according to the majority vote in the referendum. That could be described as failing to act within the terms of what we know as democracy.

It should not have been such a surprise and disappointment as we all know that May was, and clearly still is, a remainer.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Boozercruiser ->

End of!
Not only has she always maintained that statement, but I have been encouraged by those 'in the know', including Boris and JRM (among others) that it is perfectly possible for us to walk away. I am aware that things would be difficult for a time if we were to walk, but I'd prefer that to any giving in to the EU demands.

May is making the mistake of trying to keep everyone happy. What she is actually doing is annoying everyone:

The leavers are clearly unhappy with her concessions.
The EU mandarins seem to be unhappy because, as always, they want more.
The remainers are always unhappy unless and until, of course, we hand over our sovereignty to the EU.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

23-09-2017, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
I completely agree with Shropshiregirl that we should never have got ourselves into this position, but then my dislike of Theresa May and her intransigent incompetence is legendary.

I have been roundly condemned for posting as such on here many times.
Not 'condemned' by me, I hope. Whilst I have not agreed with your opinion of her in the past, I have only said that I have found her to be doing well so far and that I was confident that she would deliver what she promised.

I admit that, in the light of recent events, my faith in her was unfounded and that your opinions were completely correct.

My apologies. I should listen to you more!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'm afraid you are quite correct.

I have a horrible feeling that our attempts at Brexit - democratically decided, I should add - may well reflect the events in Ireland that you mention.

Contrary to your hopes, I hope that this speech DOES come back to bite her on the backside, and that she loses her position as PM as a consequence. After all, she is not acting according to the majority vote in the referendum. That could be described as failing to act within the terms of what we know as democracy.

It should not have been such a surprise and disappointment as we all know that May was, and clearly still is, a remainer.
Hi

I cannot agree JBR.

She has appointed the whole lot of the most ardent Brexiteers to principle roles in Brexit.

Boris, Davies and Liam Fox at the start, and now Gove.

She wants to go down in History as the PM who delivered Brexit.

She is a Control Freak.

The whole Bunch of them are useless, good at Political Rhetoric, absolutely useless at getting things done.

JRM has also joined the ranks of the idiots with this statement about Home Office incompetence.

Civil Servants are ruled by Ministers, no staff, no money, it is impossible to deliver.

Contrary to popular belief, many Civil Servants want to deliver.

They are leaving in droves because of sheer frustration.

They are not all whinging Remainers.

Page 8 of 11 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top