Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2017, 04:13 PM

Dealing with the Government.

Hi

Contrary to what some may think, I am no idiot.

I am used to bureaucracy, both in the Civil Service and Local Government.

I was 65 in December, I had previously taken Voluntary Redundancy nearly 3 years ago, but was then brought back into work, part of the deal.

I agreed to work on over Christmas and the New Year to help them out.

That means that I did not retire when I was 65.

I have never been Military or Police, so not part of any of those schemes.

I was seriously injured at work in 1989, compulsory medical retirement in 1991, returned to work, part time, in a different job, in 1993.

To cut a long story short, I have 2 Local Government Pensions, one Civil Service Pension, an Industrial Injury Pension and a Reduced Earnings Allowance.

I am also entitled to my State Pension from the middle of December.

Because I agreed to help them out, I am now classed as having deferred my Old Age Pension, my reduced earnings allowance and Industrial Injuries has not been payed for a month and I cannot get my State Pension until I have completed a whole load of forms as I am deemed to have deferred it.

Neither can I get my Civil Service Pension until I have furnished them with a whole load of stupid information, including my last Payroll Number.

I am absolutely fuming, they do not answer the phone or emails.

I can quite understand why some end up in a right mess because the stupidity of the systems.

I am now down Ģ1600 a month in Pensions, after tax.

I will survive, to many others it would put them in the hands of the money lenders.

It really annoys me.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2017, 04:40 PM

Re: Dealing with the Government.

Swimfeeders, that is terrible. I bet you feel like banging your head against the wall.

When in comes to Pensions and Tax, welcome to the world of bureaucratic incompetence!
All you can do is keep poking them, annoying them, hassling them, anything as long as it makes them raise their eyes to the ceiling when they hear from you because you are at least remembered and not filed at the bottom of the unimportant pile of paperwork in the "in basket"

By the way, and briefly going off topic. I was listening to a Government official on the news this morning and for anyone who is married or in a civil partnership, one of you not paying tax, (pensions do not get included), the working partner is earning under Ģ43,000 YOU ARE ENTITLED to the married person's allowance Ģ200 per year without fail. He was saying that out of 4 million people entitled to it, only one million have applied and he recommends that everyone should apply immediately as the money is just sitting there waiting to be paid.

Above criteria is all you need, it is that simple, and to go on to the government website to find out all about it and how to apply. once you have claimed It will take immediate effect in your next pay. Well worth it!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2017, 09:29 PM

I agree. That is terrible and, due to the incompetence or lack of interest on the part of those officials involved, you are suffering. I assume that you will eventually receive money owing as a lump sum when they finally extract their digits.

And I'm sure that no-one on here regards you as an idiot.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2017, 09:31 PM

I hope you get it sorted Swim - what a bloody shower eh?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 12:41 AM

You can't have that Swimmy.
I am not qualified to tell you the best way of going about it, but can you not get an appointment to go and actually talk face to face with anyone?

I am also a bit surprised that your previous employers weren't aware of how it would affect your pension when they called you back.
I also thought you had to fill in a form for the pensions people telling them whether you wanted to defer your pension or not, they can't just assume you're deferring it - can they?

Have you a good C.A.B near you?
I must say I've never had a problem getting through to Pensions on the phone, maybe you're ringing at peak times or something?
Failing that and annoying as it is, it sounds as if you will just have to sit down with a big mug of coffee and and get the paperwork done a.s.a.p so they will pay you properly.
Can payroll or the accounts dept where you worked not help you with the paperwork, it's their fault you're in this pickle in a way. And are you the only one they've called back like that? They need to know what happens to employees pensions when they do that.
I do hope you get it sorted, it seems all wrong to me.

So much for a stress-free retirment.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 11:24 AM

Not the same problem you have swimfeeders, but some years ago, when we first left UK, we had a problem with the Inland Revenue. Despite letters, phone calls, faxes, we got nowhere. Eventually I sent aother fax asking if my next recourse would have to be the national newspapers. No word of a lie, they called us in Kenya the very next morning ! I have always presumed it was the threat of going to the newspapers that got them off their backsides, I donīt know, but it got sorted after that.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Not the same problem you have swimfeeders, but some years ago, when we first left UK, we had a problem with the Inland Revenue. Despite letters, phone calls, faxes, we got nowhere. Eventually I sent aother fax asking if my next recourse would have to be the national newspapers. No word of a lie, they called us in Kenya the very next morning ! I have always presumed it was the threat of going to the newspapers that got them off their backsides, I donīt know, but it got sorted after that.
Funny how that suddenly makes them sit up and take notice, isn't it? Thank God for a free press.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Contrary to what some may think, I am no idiot.

I am used to bureaucracy, both in the Civil Service and Local Government.

I was 65 in December, I had previously taken Voluntary Redundancy nearly 3 years ago, but was then brought back into work, part of the deal.

I agreed to work on over Christmas and the New Year to help them out.

That means that I did not retire when I was 65.

I have never been Military or Police, so not part of any of those schemes.

I was seriously injured at work in 1989, compulsory medical retirement in 1991, returned to work, part time, in a different job, in 1993.

To cut a long story short, I have 2 Local Government Pensions, one Civil Service Pension, an Industrial Injury Pension and a Reduced Earnings Allowance.

I am also entitled to my State Pension from the middle of December.

Because I agreed to help them out, I am now classed as having deferred my Old Age Pension, my reduced earnings allowance and Industrial Injuries has not been payed for a month and I cannot get my State Pension until I have completed a whole load of forms as I am deemed to have deferred it.

Neither can I get my Civil Service Pension until I have furnished them with a whole load of stupid information, including my last Payroll Number.

I am absolutely fuming, they do not answer the phone or emails.

I can quite understand why some end up in a right mess because the stupidity of the systems.

I am now down Ģ1600 a month in Pensions, after tax.

I will survive, to many others it would put them in the hands of the money lenders.

It really annoys me.
What about contacting a newspaper? Money Mail for instance.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 08:50 PM

http://www.local-pension-advisor.co....FSIL0wod4BEJLQ

Swimmy, would this be any help do you think?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

15-01-2017, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
http://www.local-pension-advisor.co....FSIL0wod4BEJLQ

Swimmy, would this be any help do you think?
I had a look at that just out of interest and clicked the 'find a local advisor', entering my postcode.

On the next screen it wanted to know what sort of pensions advice I wanted. OK: 'general pension advice'.

After that it wanted my name and address. I give that and I received all sorts of junk mail and 'invitations'. As I don't really need any advice at the moment, I thought I wouldn't proceed.

Why not just provide some advisors in my local area and let me choose?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top