Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2017, 01:28 PM

Savoury Mince and Tomato Crumble.

Hi everyone.

Well, I’m sure I must have tried over the years, every single variation of Shepherd’s Pie I think there is apart from throwing a whole cow in there!, so thought perhaps I should look for something new. I came across this recipe online last week. I always add 500g of good quality Minced Beef to my shopping list every week because one, it is nice and cheap and two, He who must obey loves to come home from work at least one night a week to one of his favourite meals, Shepherds Pie. (I know, I know, it’s Cottage pie with Beef, but we have gotten so used to calling it Shepherds Pie)

It looked really nice but with a different topping, so I cooked it on Friday and he said he really enjoyed it. (mind you, shove some savoury mince in front of him and he will eat it until the whole dish has gone) , but I too thought it was really nice and a change from Mashed Potato topping. Here below is the recipe. As tasty as it was, next time I do the dish I have decided I might make it a little spicier so am going to add two tablespoons of Sweet Chilli Sauce to the mixture (I do love my spicy meals).This dish was filling on it’s own so just finished baking 2 part baked crispy rolls, and served them warm with real butter. YUM!
Hope you enjoy this if you try it.

Savoury Mince and Tomato Crumble

OVEN TEMPERATURE
190C /375F /Gas 5 /Fan170C

INGREDIENTS FOR THE MINCE
1 x Onion, (finely diced)
½ Red Pepper (finely diced)
2 cloves of Garlic (finely crushed)
500 grams Minced Beef
2 x tablespoons Plain Flour
1 x teaspoon Paprika
1 x teaspoon dried Thyme
Salt and Pepper
1 x tablespoon Tomato Puree
280ml Beef Stock
4-5 Tomatoes (sliced thin or thick, depends on how you like your cooked tomatoes in a dish)

INGREDIENTS FOR THE CRUMBLE
180 grams of Flour (picture shows half white, half wholemeal flour)
90 grams of Butter or Spread
35 grams Cheese (picture shows Red Leicester, I used extra mature Cheddar)

METHOD
Put a little oil into a saucepan, add the chopped onion and red pepper and cook until softened. Then add the crushed garlic.
Cook for one more minute and then add the minced beef. Keep cooking and stirring, breaking it up until it is slightly browned.
Stir in the flour, paprika, thyme, salt, pepper and tomato puree. Add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
Whilst the beef is simmering for 10 minutes, make the Crumble topping.
Rub the butter into the flour and mix with your fingertips. Once done, add the cheese and some salt and Black Pepper (or ordinary Pepper).
Lightly oil the SIDES of a casserole dish, add the minced beef, cover the minced beef with a layer of sliced tomatoes. Top with the crumble mix.
Bake in the Oven for 30-35 minutes.(mine was ready in 30 minutes)

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mince-and-Tomato-Crumble-1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	2694   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mince-and-Tomato-Crumble-5-800x800.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	2695  
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2017, 01:48 PM

Re: Savoury Mince and Tomato Crumble.

That looks delicious. I would imagine you could use mince lamb as well.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2017, 01:53 PM

[QUOTE=Goldielocks;1102066]That looks delicious. I would i
Hyou could use mince lamb as well.[/QUOTHi

Hi Goldilocks, of course you could use lamb mince, I'm sure it would taste delicious, same with the Veggie version using Quorn or whatever mixture one wanted to put in the dish.

Hope you enjoy it if you do decide to try it.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2017, 02:10 PM

[QUOTE=shropshiregirl;1102073]
Originally Posted by Goldielocks ->
That looks delicious. I would i

Hi Goldilocks, of course you could use lamb mince, I'm sure it would taste delicious, same with the Veggie version using Quorn or whatever mixture one wanted to put in the dish.

Always looking for something different . You always post lovely recipes.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2017, 06:07 PM

That sounds delicious! I personally would leave out all the spices, but would add tomato puree to the beef.

Might try this one day.
JimmyC
Australia
JimmyC is male 

28-02-2017, 01:31 AM

[QUOTE=shropshiregirl;1102073]
Originally Posted by Goldielocks ->
That looks delicious. I would i

Have you got a good one for a Potato Bake, Shropshiregirl?

Don't know if it's the same in England, but here it's sliced potato layered with cheese and cream and chopped bacon. But it looks like you might have a better way.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

01-03-2017, 12:24 PM

[QUOTE=JimmyC;1102488]
Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->

Have you got a good one for a Potato Bake, Shropshiregirl?

Don't know if it's the same in England, but here it's sliced potato layered with cheese and cream and chopped bacon. But it looks like you might have a better way.
Hi JimmyC. Thank you for your kind comments. To be quite honest with you, I haven't. Your sliced potato layered with cheese, cream and chopped bacon sounds lovely, it's almost identical to the individual potato au gratin that I did last week.

Again, I am limited on here with my shared recipes because I only include those that I have tried and tested myself first and think that others would perhaps enjoy them too. ( believe me, there have been a few new dishes that I thank goodness I tried for myself first as they have not proved popular with my guinea-pig, (he who must obey) and when he doesn't like the dish, I know for a fact that others won't. LOL).

There are some really terrific, accomplished home-cooks on here that have given me great tips and ideas. I'm sure they will be able to come up with some lovely Baked Potato recipes for you. Where are you Judd, UJ and all others ??

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top