Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2017, 05:03 PM

Minced Beef and Cheese Pie

WooHoo! Made this, this morning for our early lunch today (just back after visiting for the afternoon). Blowing my own trumpet when I say it was delicious! I served it with creamy Mash and mixed vegetables. It went down a treat.

Now you all know me and my minced beef dishes. I love em! I found this one yet again online, it's a well known and loved New Zealand dish and thought it would be perfect for a quick lunch for today. It was dead easy to assemble cos I only use shop bought pastry as some of you may know already, I cannot make pastry to save my life, so my trusty faithful JusRol was used as per normal. I used Puff Pastry for this pie as it was recommended in the recipe so the Pie is really light.
Hope you like it if you decide to try the recipe.

You can use your own usual recipe for the Minced Beef mix but for those who wish to follow this recipe to make 1 large or 4 individual pies, please use the following measurements:

INGREDIENTS FOR MINCED BEEF AND CHEESE PIE.

Use your own version of savoury minced beef or……

1 Tablespoon oil
1 Tablespoon butter
1 finely chopped medium onion
2 cloves crushed garlic
500g lean minced beef
20g nice cheese
30g plain flour
175ml beef stock
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 egg (or eggwash mixing it with 2 tablespoons water)
2 Tablespoons black or white sesame seeds (no chance, didn’t have any)
125ml beer (I used Lager and it was absolutely fine)
1 Tablespoon Marmite or Vegemite
2 tablespoons Tomato Puree or Paste
1 teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar (again, not in my own recipe)
¼ teaspoon mixed herbs

Preheat your oven to 220C/425F/200 Fan Assisted/Gas Mark 7.

METHOD
Heat the onion and garlic in a large frying pan until the onion is golden. Add the Minced Beef and cook until Minced Beef is browned, breaking it up as it cooks.

Stir in the Flour and cook for approximately 30 seconds. Gradually add the Beef stock and Beer and then the tomato puree or paste, vegemite or marmite, balsamic vinegar, mixed herbs and salt and pepper. Lower the heat and allow to cool.

PASTRY

Cut off a quarter of the pastry block for the lids. Using the rest to fit either a large Pie dish or 4 small pie dishes by rolling out the puff pastry to 4mm thick. (if using individual pie dishes cut the larger piece of pastry into 4 quarters).

Fill the minced beef to almost the top of the pie dish(s), then sprinkle the cheese on the top (you can always add more if you feel you like more cheese). Brush edges of the pie dish pastry with water, place the lid(s) on,seal the pastry lid by pressing down gently then trim off any excess edges. Brush the top with the egg or egg wash.
If following recipe, sprinkle on the sesame seeds now.

Leave the Pies to stand for one to two hours before baking.

Place onto a preheated oven tray and cook for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.

Allow the pies to stand in their tin(s) for ten minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack.

Serve with whatever you like. Next time I will try these mid week with perhaps a green salad and a bowl of chips. yum!

Enjoy!.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	fe9bd856-b7b6-436f-9b87-8a07d0cdf148.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	2717   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06757-L.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	2718  
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2017, 05:52 PM

Re: Minced Beef and Cheese Pie

Sounds lovely, just in time for British pie week, it starts tomorrow.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2017, 06:04 PM

You are making my mouth water again. Sounds delicious. One to try
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2017, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Sounds lovely, just in time for British pie week, it starts tomorrow.
Hi Nom, I never knew that! Looks like I started a day early!! LOL.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

05-03-2017, 06:11 PM

Hi Goldi, confession time, when they came out of the oven, it said to leave in tin for 10 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack. Sod that! I left them in their tin for as long as it took me to plate up the mash and veg and then I tipped them out, not onto a cooling rack but straight onto the warm plates.
(I like my pie hot! hot! hot! LOL
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2017, 06:43 PM

They sound delicious! My neighbours were cooking mince for the children, and I said to her when she wanted the meter cupboard key, 'your dinner smells lovely'. She said it was the boyfriend cooking it, for the kids! He chucks in peas, carrots and whatever. Yum!
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2017, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Hi Goldi, confession time, when they came out of the oven, it said to leave in tin for 10 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack. Sod that! I left them in their tin for as long as it took me to plate up the mash and veg and then I tipped them out, not onto a cooling rack but straight onto the warm plates.
(I like my pie hot! hot! hot! LOL
My kinda girl

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top