Join for free
Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2017, 10:27 AM

Re: Your very first car.

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Bruce, may I ask how old you are?

at a guess I'd say around 88?

If so, may I congratulate you even more on your recent epic journey......it's great to see people putting two fingers up to ageing and carrying on enjoying life to the max.
88? Crikey I hope not. That car was almost the same age as me.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2017, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
88? Crikey I hope not. That car was almost the same age as me.
In my defense....it was 0400hrs
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2017, 12:14 PM

Mine was a beautiful black XR2 (fiesta)

It also had B*** WNA as a number plate which used to make me chuckle inside because it was hot and spicy all right!
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 04:12 PM

Hmm,

Mine was a Capri 2.0 GT V4.......
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2017, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
Just found a piccie of an identical Austin 7 which was my first.

I bought this car for £15 from a colleague of father's, and he towed it from Guildford to Farnborough The tyres were Ok. The body was alu, with a steel bonnet mudguards and radiator. The roof was alu, covered with black fabric. The windscreen was split and the top half opened for summer motoring. Single vacuum driven wiper.

The engine was sidevalve four cylinder, with a hand starter and 6 volt dynamo. The battery was under the passenger seat, and the headlights at either end of the windscreen, with a single red light to the rear. Inside, there were two green leatherette covered bucket seats and a tiny rear bench seat. No luggage space.

To get the thing going, I removed the cylinder head and gasket, fitted four concave steel plugs and fitted new sparking plugs. Re-assembled and dismantled the carburetter and cleaned the gum out. Put the dynamo into mother's oven after Sunday lunch (much to her horror) to dry it out and put everything back.

Brakes - dual braking system, the foot pedal operated the front drums and the handbrake the rear. Washed the drums cleaned and re-assembled. Greased steering and suspension pivots and blew up tyres to correct pressures.

Engine oil then petrol in tank, and surprise, the ignition fired first time, so off I went for a trial run. Top speed 45mph downhill!!

Sold it to a girlfriend for £25.....
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2017, 09:13 PM

I've found another 'before' and an 'after the dustcart event'

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170716_105951.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	3427   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170716_110038.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	3428  
Nebogipfel
New Member!
Norfolk UK
Nebogipfel is male 

07-09-2017, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
1938 Austin Big Seven

FGY 157

Parents bought it for me one Xmas ... it cost £30 and had been sitting in the garage of a colleague of my Dad's for many years.

Hello Rachel, I now own this car and would be interested in any memories or old pictures you may have of it . I did email your website address, not sure if you ever saw it?

regards, John
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 10:19 AM

A dark green Austin A30. It came with a gold-seal factory reconditioned engine but I always asked for far more speed out of it than it was capable of giving. It wore out in about a year.
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2017, 11:30 PM

I had a Robin Reliant, like Del from Fools & Horses. That would have been about 1969. I'd had a bike Yamaha 50, and when i past my test i wanted a Daytona. I had visions of being a Hells Angel. But my Mum wouldn't sign the HP, i was only 16. She said i'd kill myself. Someone she worked with had a Reliant and you could drive them with a motorbike licence. Turned out to be a good thing 'cos by the time i was 17 and old enough to drive, i'd had a years practise on the road. Then after i'd passed my car test, i traded the Reliant in, and bought a Moggy 1000. Use to spend most weekends in the scrapyard getting bits off other cars, to keep mine on the road. Learning as i went on.
Nebogipfel
New Member!
Norfolk UK
Nebogipfel is male 

13-09-2017, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by SamTheMan ->
I had a Robin Reliant, like Del from Fools & Horses. That would have been about 1969. I'd had a bike Yamaha 50, and when i past my test i wanted a Daytona. I had visions of being a Hells Angel. But my Mum wouldn't sign the HP, i was only 16. She said i'd kill myself. Someone she worked with had a Reliant and you could drive them with a motorbike licence. Turned out to be a good thing 'cos by the time i was 17 and old enough to drive, i'd had a years practise on the road. Then after i'd passed my car test, i traded the Reliant in, and bought a Moggy 1000. Use to spend most weekends in the scrapyard getting bits off other cars, to keep mine on the road. Learning as i went on.
In 1969 your Reliant would have been a Reliant Regal not a Robin. The Reliant Robin was launched in 1973. Del and Rodney also had a Regal (Van) not a Robin as is often incorrectly stated.

Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top