Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 09:21 AM

NHS comes top in health care survey

https://www.theguardian.com/society/.../17/nhs-health

The NHS has been declared the best healthcare system by an international panel of experts who rated its care superior to countries which spend far more on health.

The same study also castigated healthcare provision in the US as the worst of the 11 countries it looked at. Despite putting the most money into health, America denies care to many patients in need because they do not have health insurance and is also the poorest at saving the lives of people who fall ill, it found.

The report has been produced by the Commonwealth Fund, a Washington-based foundation which is respected around the world for its analysis of the performance of different countries' health systems.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 11:07 AM

Re: NHS comes top in health care survey

A few points:-

1) The article is 3 years old (see date top left).

2) We don't get to know who the "panel of experts" are.

3) Since the experts are based in the USA, could they be kicking the USA when slating them as bottom of the list?Is this something to do with Obama Care?

4) Note the Guardian "Begging letter" at the bottom of the page - very common in their current articles as well.

Having said all that, you might be surprised that I believe the findings - the NHS is the best. in my opinion.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
[B]
The NHS has been declared the best healthcare system by an international panel of experts who rated its care superior to countries which spend far more on health.
Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Having said all that, you might be surprised that I believe the findings - the NHS is the best. in my opinion.
Ask yourself then - why don't you have the longest life expectancy in the world?

You are 20th in the world in life expectancy according to World Health Organization in 2015. Most European Countries are ahead of you as well as countries like Singapore, South Korea and Japan. If your health service was the best you would expect to live the longest - I am not saying it is not good but saying it is the best/superior is a big call and not supported by evidence. Though the article does say it was a "survey". I wonder who they surveyed?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 01:31 PM

How can anybody decide who has the best healthcare? Each patient is an individual, so how long they live must be down to a lot of different things like, their genes, how well they look after themselves and whether they follow the doctors instructions!

When deciding who offers the best health care, where do they get their info from... or do they just judge it on statistics?

I believe that the majority of healthcare people, try to do all they can to make patients better, but there are a lot of unknown factors that may contribute to how well they succeed, so isn't each case down to the individuals concerned?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Ask yourself then - why don't you have the longest life expectancy
The uk did well in everything apart from outcomes (probably the most important thing)
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 02:10 PM

We do still have an unhealthy climate.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Ask yourself then - why don't you have the longest life expectancy in the world?

You are 20th in the world in life expectancy according to World Health Organization in 2015. Most European Countries are ahead of you as well as countries like Singapore, South Korea and Japan. If your health service was the best you would expect to live the longest - I am not saying it is not good but saying it is the best/superior is a big call and not supported by evidence. Though the article does say it was a "survey". I wonder who they surveyed?
Since I am already 81, I rest my case!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 04:43 PM

1) The article is 3 years old (see date top left)..

Oh No!!!

I do apologise, was in a rush... that's two of us with eggy faces today!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 10:26 PM

1) The article is 3 years old (see date top left).

Here's one from last week.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...lthcare-survey
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2017, 01:02 AM

I found this chart on the ABC website which details the criteria. I must admit I do think outcomes are important.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top