Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 08:28 AM

Moths.

Since finding a moth hole in my favourite white t shirt last year I've become a bit obsessed about protecting my clothes from moths.

I've got Rentokil moth killer paper strips hanging in all my wardrobes. There's no odour with them - you can't really tell if they're working or not. I can only hope so!

Do you use moth protection?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 08:33 AM

Re: Moths.

I put conkers in the wardrobe they are supposed to detract moths but also hang detereantx a boy. I have some lovely wall hanging s form South America which the mouths love to munch if given a chance .
They love foreign food .
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 08:46 AM

Carol I have a horrid story about my friend Sue and moths . She had a futon , I slept on it many times , last year she noticed a lot of small moths flying around , she hoovered and sprayed , they kept coming , eventually decided to check futon and opened the zip .......it was full of them they were living in it . I'd been sleeping on it weeks earlier . Obviously she got rid and had to treat her carpets too . She stopped using moth balls because of the smell so I'm gonna get some of those strips you mentioned as I'm now terrified I'm going to get invaded
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 09:08 AM

I've had quite a few this year, I think wasband brought them here in his mum's wool that he gave me.
Lavender is suppose to be a moth deterrent. That's what I'm trying.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 12:21 PM

When ever I am in Malaysia I buy a bag of moth balls because here they have to be sold in a small container (they can kill babies). Silverfish are probably the bigger worry here. Silverfish can damage clothing, carpet, artwork and curtain materials containing natural fibres such as wool, cotton, paper, silk and also rayon fabrics.

Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 12:27 PM

I have wool carpets and a few years ago, in a carpeted cupboard, l noticed what looked like rice! They were the larvae of the wool moths and had eaten a patch out of the carpet.
These days, l vacuum round the edges if l see the white things! Or, l pick them up with a tweezer and flush them down the toilet.
If l see any adult ones, l flatten them with a piece of paper.
I hate them and sometimes wonder if they came in the new carpet?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 01:47 PM

We had them in our last house and they ate parts of our stair carpet. it was a good quality wool carpet which had been down for about fifteen years but once they started on it, it was ruined within a few weeks. we tried all the mothballs and strips but nothing seemed to work. Still found holes in our clothes.

It's funny really but I always thought moths eating your clothes was a bit of an old wives tale but obviously not. It's those tiny ones that do the damage. I have seen a few here but our cats are keeping the numbers down at the moment.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2017, 06:40 PM

Cedar wood rings/cubes/spheres are supposed to be effective.

I've just bought loads for here, not just for moths but because they're supposedly good for preventing mildew too. I have already improved ventilation etc. etc. etc. and this is the last stage in our quest to banish damp.
Of course, since I've only just put these everywhere I can't rightly say how effective they are yet.
Which isn't very helpful I know; I apologise but it gives you another option.

I have heard about conkers too, and lavendar for moths but I guess it's a case of seeing what suits you best.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2017, 07:57 PM

I have some paper thingys but I also have cedar rings that fit onto coat hangers very handy..
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2017, 08:48 PM

We haven't had wardrobe moths for years, but I still remember finding holes in a favourite lambswool sweater and silk skirt. I didn't do anything to get rid of them, just aired the clothes.

This thread reminded me of a scary looking caterpillar the dog was going bananas at the other day. He just didn't seem to understand what it was, it didn't look tasty, but it was moving so deserved to be barked at.

I've just found it - the caterpillar of an Elephant-Hawk moth. I didn't manage to get a pic as threw it over the fence so the dog would stop being so distressed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top