Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 09:07 AM

Re: The Tax Trap

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I've always thought that's a bit messed up also with nmw the mum or dad can end up paying more per hour for childcare than they earn ! Just a complete mess.
Hi

So how would you sort it out?

A genuine question.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Why make mothers work then pay them child care allowance. The kids and their's mums would be better off if the mums could look after their own kids instead of paying for a stranger to do it.
I agree .
It seems to me a pointless exercise .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Leia ->
No, you're wrong it hasn't always been broken. See my earlier post about my life in the seventies, no benefits for us then. I couldn't afford to have more children.
There still aren't benefits for all Leia if you work what they deem too many hours or take a second job to make ends meet, if you don't have children or foster within your family. No benefits for very many people who really would find them a help.

I always look at it this way I'm not jealous of anyone on benefit they miss out on a huge part of life that at the end of the day makes a person stronger and happier.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Leia ->
No, you're wrong it hasn't always been broken. See my earlier post about my life in the seventies, no benefits for us then. I couldn't afford to have more children.
That was pre quantitative easing, different times.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 09:15 AM

I think it's time we all became a bit poorer.
( and no doubt we will after the EU has finished with us)
A lower standard of living all around might be better
Except
To live cleanly and in an environmentally friendly seems to be more expensive .
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 09:34 AM

Before I retired I had 2 jobs , I worked 20hrs in an office , then 12 hours in the post office , I was on minimum wage of £5 per hour , I was able to have a small top up of working tax credits which helped a great deal as I live alone and had a mortgage albeit small . I then got a third job of 8 hours a week and came off working tax credits . I was approaching 60 and had intention of working another 4 years . While in the post office I saw how much money was paid in benefits each week to couples who had only one working partner of 16 hours a week . It made me frustrated and annoyed , I was years older than them , couldn't afford to retire , had another 4 years of hard work with 3 jobs .

I feel it's made too easy to have a life of ease working 16 hrs .
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 09:49 AM

It is important for society, for folks to have the ability to "Get By" in whatever form that takes. Imo.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

So how would you sort it out?

A genuine question.
It needs a complete over haul of entire system. Not tinkering around with. This current system can't be fixed. It needs to be changed completely right from the bottom to the top.

There are things most people agree with IMO that could be done and there are unpalatable truths that need to be faced too. They won't be popular but necessary.

A proper plan for housing. A decent living wage. A plan to help not punish the generational unemployed back into a work situation.
Parents assisted to be home for first few years of a child's life, plus easier access to childcare in school holidays so they don't have to give up jobs because they are unreliable at those times.
Better benefits for unemployed in return for some sort of community work. Better benefits for those unfit to work.
Training for people at certain stages of life so they can transition into new jobs as their old jobs become less easy for them.

Very subsidised housing for necessary jobs in areas that housing is more of a problem.

Loads more things but without the will for change we will carry on as we are with unhappy people struggling on, unhappy people jealous of those not working. The mess goes on because people shout pie in the sky if anyone dares think outside the box.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Before I retired I had 2 jobs , I worked 20hrs in an office , then 12 hours in the post office , I was on minimum wage of £5 per hour , I was able to have a small top up of working tax credits which helped a great deal as I live alone and had a mortgage albeit small . I then got a third job of 8 hours a week and came off working tax credits . I was approaching 60 and had intention of working another 4 years . While in the post office I saw how much money was paid in benefits each week to couples who had only one working partner of 16 hours a week . It made me frustrated and annoyed , I was years older than them , couldn't afford to retire , had another 4 years of hard work with 3 jobs .

I feel it's made too easy to have a life of ease working 16 hrs .
Hi

I agree completely.

What is even more annoying is when those who use the system, laugh at those who have the work ethic.

There are a number of them round here, gloating and saying you are mad for working.

We need to change our Benefits System quite dramatically, bring it into line with other nations.

You only get out what you have paid in, if you have not paid in you have a basic house and food and clothing vouchers, nothing else.

No mobiles, no Sky, nothing.

I have no problems at all with paying national average wage to those who are genuinely unable to work or who can only work part time due to illness or disability.

In my view, we should do the same for full time carers.

As for the rest of them, they can naff off.

We have created a monster, a system where the bone idle can stay at home and not work.

It is just plain stupid.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

22-07-2017, 10:44 AM

Many people were awfully jealous when we were briefly on benefit, we had a nice car, TV, holiday etc all bought before my husband's stroke that saw him out of work for a year. Amazed me how many were so short sighted they couldn't see we hadn't purchased them with our massive payment of £72 a fortnight ! I really think some should try living on benefit before commenting on the subject.
Its a rare person on out of work benefits really have an easy life buying all they want.

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top