Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 11:35 AM

Here's One I Never Planned For!!!

Morning everyone. Well, she's finally here! Who? you may well ask. I'd better explain.

Crickey, this seems more a post for Marjorie Proops than the food menu section but here goes...

I have had a Russian penpal for the last four years, her name is Mila. A really nice, attractive and respectable lady, aged 58 widowed for 5 years, a music teacher at a school in Roscoff, who speaks very good English. She has travelled extensively all over Europe with the School choir but even so, getting a tourist visa to visit Britain was a big deal and very difficult. However, thankfully she was granted one and is now here on a two-week visit.

But............not to see me!!!!!! 12 months ago, whilst talking to her on Skype, my youngest brother, a widower of over two years, happened to visit during my conversation, introduced himself to Mila, completely took over my Skype conversation and BANG! before I knew it, they were both smitten! They started talking to each other on Skype every day, texting each other, even between her school classes. She was even putting her camera phone on whilst walking between classes and introducing him to her school colleagues as she was walking down the school corridors.

I have to admit, I was a bit worried and perhaps a bit miffed at first, you can imagine how nervous I was that this was all going to end up pear shaped. Either she was going to get hurt, or he was going to get hurt. (I know my brother!)
I knew that she was not the type to use him just to leave Russia as she has both Russian and Schengen passports, owns properties herself. Her son has his own business and her daughter is married to one of the Russian National Football Coaches. No, it seems the only thing that was going to be lost was my loss, my Pen Pal!!.

They have since been meeting once a month, flying off to be with each other, twice in Prague, once in Cologne, once in Bonn, twice in Riga and finally 10 days in Venice. (Booking.Com love him!)
Now they are engaged and she has come to visit him here. It's all been very romantic.

I am really pleased for them both though. They are so happy together. I've invited them both for dinner on Saturday. I'm quite nervious about it though and been panicking a bit about the menu. She doesn't drink either, so thought I would share just the menu with you and if anyone has any ideas or tips or criticism, would appreciate your input. Especially if you think what I am serving does not go well together. It's no good asking he who must obey, he eats anything put before him. My terrific cook, SIL is vegetarian so wouldn't entertain Steak anyway so am turning to you. Here below is what I am serving. Please don't hesitate to tell me if you think it doesn't blend right.

STARTER
King Prawns with Mango & Chilli Salsa

MAIN
Steak with Tempura battered Onion Rings, Side dishes of French Fries and Green Salad

DESSERT
Blackberry Fool with Calvados.

I don't think the Calvados will affect her as a non drinker as there isn't much in the pud.

Cheeseboard with Cheddar, Brie, Stilton, Green Grapes and water biscuits.

I admit I get bored with serving Water or Orange Juice to non-drinkers so I am serving Shloer Grape Juice and Ginger Beer as a choice for Mila, and Wine for the three of us. Do you think that is suitable for a non-drinker, or should I play safe with just water and Orange Juice?

Either way, I'm hoping it turns out well.

Who would have thought it?? Isn't life strange?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 11:46 AM

Re: Here's One I Never Planned For!!!

I have a funny feeling she won't be worried about the food as she will be far more interested in your other guest

How wonderful you are a real life Cupid !
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 11:50 AM

What??? - no Blinis ??? - a traditional Russian dish!!!

recipe here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/blini
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 11:55 AM

LOL, Hi UJ, to be honest, I did look up Russian recipes at first but then thought twice about it as felt she wouldn't be very inspired at eating her own type of food that she no doubts eats most days, so opted to do something that was simple but kind of different (I hope!)
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 11:56 AM

When I have foreign visitors I tend to go traditional English, they can get their traditions in their own country and seem to enjoy something different here.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
LOL, Hi UJ, to be honest, I did look up Russian recipes at first but then thought twice about it as felt she wouldn't be very inspired at eating her own type of food that she no doubts eats most days, so opted to do something that was simple but kind of different (I hope!)

What about Shashliks???

recipe here!!!

https://thedomesticman.com/2012/06/1...-shish-kebabs/
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

03-08-2017, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I have a funny feeling she won't be worried about the food as she will be far more interested in your other guest

How wonderful you are a real life Cupid !
LOL, Hi Julie, certainly not intentional I can assure you! I had no say in the matter. It just took off after that first greeting.
I very rarely talk to her now on Skype, little brother is always hogging her time on his own computer at his home.
Over the moon for them though.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

03-08-2017, 12:05 PM

UJ, I'm going to stick with the menu I've been literally sweating over for the last week!. The starter can be done beforehand, the side dishes can be done beforehand and the dessert can be done beforehand. The only cooking are the steaks, onion rings and french fries!! That will do me thank you! You forget UJ, this lady is not an accomplished cook! I seek a stress-free, enjoyable meal where I am not hunched over the cooker all evening instead of talking to the lovebirds. LOL Thanks anyway. x
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

03-08-2017, 12:13 PM

Just trying to help and by eating food she is already used to, would perhaps put her more at ease.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Morning everyone. Well, she's finally here! Who? you may well ask. I'd better explain.

Crickey, this seems more a post for Marjorie Proops than the food menu section but here goes...

I have had a Russian penpal for the last four years, her name is Mila. A really nice, attractive and respectable lady, aged 58 widowed for 5 years, a music teacher at a school in Roscoff, who speaks very good English. She has travelled extensively all over Europe with the School choir but even so, getting a tourist visa to visit Britain was a big deal and very difficult. However, thankfully she was granted one and is now here on a two-week visit.

But............not to see me!!!!!! 12 months ago, whilst talking to her on Skype, my youngest brother, a widower of over two years, happened to visit during my conversation, introduced himself to Mila, completely took over my Skype conversation and BANG! before I knew it, they were both smitten! They started talking to each other on Skype every day, texting each other, even between her school classes. She was even putting her camera phone on whilst walking between classes and introducing him to her school colleagues as she was walking down the school corridors.

I have to admit, I was a bit worried and perhaps a bit miffed at first, you can imagine how nervous I was that this was all going to end up pear shaped. Either she was going to get hurt, or he was going to get hurt. (I know my brother!)
I knew that she was not the type to use him just to leave Russia as she has both Russian and Schengen passports, owns properties herself. Her son has his own business and her daughter is married to one of the Russian National Football Coaches. No, it seems the only thing that was going to be lost was my loss, my Pen Pal!!.

They have since been meeting once a month, flying off to be with each other, twice in Prague, once in Cologne, once in Bonn, twice in Riga and finally 10 days in Venice. (Booking.Com love him!)
Now they are engaged and she has come to visit him here. It's all been very romantic.

I am really pleased for them both though. They are so happy together. I've invited them both for dinner on Saturday. I'm quite nervious about it though and been panicking a bit about the menu. She doesn't drink either, so thought I would share just the menu with you and if anyone has any ideas or tips or criticism, would appreciate your input. Especially if you think what I am serving does not go well together. It's no good asking he who must obey, he eats anything put before him. My terrific cook, SIL is vegetarian so wouldn't entertain Steak anyway so am turning to you. Here below is what I am serving. Please don't hesitate to tell me if you think it doesn't blend right.

STARTER
King Prawns with Mango & Chilli Salsa

MAIN
Steak with Tempura battered Onion Rings, Side dishes of French Fries and Green Salad

DESSERT
Blackberry Fool with Calvados.

I don't think the Calvados will affect her as a non drinker as there isn't much in the pud.

Cheeseboard with Cheddar, Brie, Stilton, Green Grapes and water biscuits.

I admit I get bored with serving Water or Orange Juice to non-drinkers so I am serving Shloer Grape Juice and Ginger Beer as a choice for Mila, and Wine for the three of us. Do you think that is suitable for a non-drinker, or should I play safe with just water and Orange Juice?

Either way, I'm hoping it turns out well.

Who would have thought it?? Isn't life strange?
My mouth is watering already
Definitely no orange juice grape juice looks more like wine .
Great menu!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top