Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 08:25 PM

Re: Potatoes

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Yes I do buy Jersey New Potatoes, but tonight we have a lovely roast dinner but the potatoes were disgusting.
Bit late for new Potatoes.

Weather this year has been the best for years.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 08:33 PM

You want taste - buy organic
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I don't buy many potatoes but if l do, l buy Albert Bartlett potatoes. They are lovely and great roasted too!
By... you must be flush.

Translation:

(Good heavens, you must be well off)
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 10:01 PM

I must be a heathen, a potato is just a potato to me.

I rarely have mash, don't do roasts now, don't do chips, just eat baked potatoes, for which I use any
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
I always opt for King Edwards, for roasting and baking. None available yet, I dont expect to see them on the shelves before mid October.
Me too

The Maris Pipers are this years new crop and taste ok .
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Yes I do buy Jersey New Potatoes, but tonight we have a lovely roast dinner but the potatoes were disgusting.
Did they Fart, or something?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 12:52 AM

I haven't bought potatoes for years, at home I always eat rice instead.

One thing I have noticed is that you never get big potatoes these days - I would buy them to bake, scoop out the insides, mix with chilli beans, cheese, parsley etc refill, then sprinkle with cheese which is melted in the oven before serving.

While you could do this with smaller potatoes it is better with the larger ones at least 120 -150mm long whereas these days you never see them more than about half that diameter.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 08:53 AM

You won't find a decent roasting spud until later in the year when the main crop is dug,all the one's in the supermarkets are last years crop,well past their best.I try to buy Marfona where possible from our local farm shop, good all round spud.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 09:01 AM

I don't buy potatoes very often but when I do I go for Maris Pipers
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
You won't find a decent roasting spud until later in the year when the main crop is dug,all the one's in the supermarkets are last years crop,well past their best.I try to buy Marfona where possible from our local farm shop, good all round spud.
The Maris Pipers are harvested in August, the first ones are in the shops now and make excellent roast potatoes .

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top