Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 11:07 AM

Re: Potatoes

Originally Posted by Meg ->
The Maris Pipers are harvested in August, the first ones are in the shops now and make excellent roast potatoes .
Just been up to the local market,marfonas are there,look large as well,plenty of rain here abouts to swell them up.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 11:15 AM

I always buy Reds, Desiree if I can, but difficult to get hold of at the moment. I do buy a bag of Reds with my order from Tesco, £2 a bag (my dad would be turning in his grave!) he grew beautiful huge Red Desiree in his vegetable garden and they tasted glorious. Lovely, waxy, fluffy, perfect for mash, whole, baking and roasting, but the Reds I get, even though I steam them, seem to be still a bit watery. Not at all like one would imagine a Red to be. They're not too bad though, just so used to using Red Potatoes.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 12:49 PM

This years Maris pipers are roasting lovely, even whilst the skins are so soft

Roosters make the best roast and chips but they aren't harvested till later so the ones available now are stores and are usually full of black
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 01:55 PM

When I moved to Devon, I was looking forward to a good selection of local fruit and veg but I have to say I was disappointed. Tbh, there was a better selection at Tesco in Pitsea, Essex than here locally. Our local green grocers has a slightly better selection than the supermarkets obviously but I was expecting more.

My favourite potato (not for roasting) is Pink Fir Apple.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 04:12 PM

Has anyone by chance tried the Yukon Gold potatoes? I've heard they are the top of the crop when it comes to spuds!
They are so difficult to get hold of here in Shropshire but am reliably informed they make the most superb Jacket Potato.
I see they sell Yukon Gold tubers at Tesco
Ocado sell them and you can buy them from Amazon groceries but impossible to get hold of at Sainsburys, Morrisons, Aldi, Lidl or Tesco round here. Sigh!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top