Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 12:25 PM

Hysterectomy

No, it's not me! It's my wife.

She's been having painful spasms in her stomach and lower area for some time and a couple of weeks ago was was diagnosed with having a cancerous tumour. It turns out she needs a hysterectomy where she will be having her womb and uterus removed and she is having this operation this coming Thursday (17th).

She has now told her daughters what to expect - that it will need weeks of rest and may have side effects, and that chemotherapy or radiotherapy is quite possible. Although we are assured that she will pull through the operation, we all all rather worried.

I know this is a highly sensitive subject, but if it's not too painful to talk about, has anyone had this operation and would you put me in the picture of what to expect following the operation? Will my wife be okay, in other words?

Thanks
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 12:48 PM

Re: Hysterectomy

Oh yes floydy , many girls I know have had hysterectmy and are ok with it . In fact they felt better . Better out than in in your wife's case . She will need to rest and may walk a little slower for a little while after . I'm sure she will be given pain killers too . Horrid that she may have to have chemo bless her but medicine is wonderful these days isn't it . Best get it over and done . By the way don't make her laugh after cause it hurts like hell to laugh .

A little smile for you , my mate had it done and her husband asked her if she was ok as she'd had her giblets out , she laughed and laughed and cried as it hurt to laugh .All the best to your lovely wife . Look after her and spoil her like mad .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 01:23 PM

I can't help you on the subject Floydy but I wish your wife well.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 02:03 PM

My daughter-in-law had a hysterectomy ten days ago. She was in hospital for 48 hours and is now recovering at home. Although she is still extremely sore and tires easily, we have been to the cinema this week and yesterday I drove her to a horse show for a couple of hours. She is in her 40's. She had no external stitches, they are all internal and all she had externally was a dressing.

That is exactly the same as when I was operated on last year for bowel cancer, which has resulted in me having an ileostomy and also chemo. It has taken me a lot longer to recover, but then I am twice her age. I live alone and have coped alone since my discharge from hospital. My motto is "do a bit and sit a bit".

I wish your wife well for her operation, she is lucky to have family support, look after her.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 02:26 PM

I am sorry to hear your wife is not well and needing surgery Floydy. I had a radical hysterectomy when I was in my early sixties and although I can't say it was not painful afterwards, I have recovered and made it through to my seventies. The surgeons removed my uterus/womb, ovaries, fallopian tubes and cervix (so not much left really). It turned out that I did not need chemotherapy so I cannot help you there.
The pain relief is very good after surgery - especially if a spinal block (epidural) is given as well as the GA. Your wife will probably stay in hospital a few days and will go home with a list of do's and don'ts. The district nurse will come home to attend to the wound and stiches. My incision was made on my bikini line (and the scar fades but does remain). The area is also numb for a surprising amount of time and is sometimes a bit sensitive.
It is important not to lift anything heavy for a while. She will probably feel very tired and some women are a bit emotional for a while, so you must take good care of her. After a few days at home your wife will be able to go for little walks, but nothing strenuous, just a gentle stroll (10 minutes building up gradually). She must not do any housework (seriously). After six weeks she will need to attend an Out-patient appointment and recovery time is usually about six weeks, but longer before she gets her full strength back If she still works she will have a sick note for six weeks - longer, if necessary. Every woman's experience is specific to her and some women (especially if they re younger) can feel loss, which is another reason to be kind and considerate to your lady. Personally I was glad to be rid of it all.
There is a wealth of information available and I have attached a couple of safe links which may help. The hysgterectomy association is the third one and is useful to keep.
I would like to wish your wife a speedy recovery and tell you not to worry too much - recovery rates from hysterectomy surgery are very good. Take care of yourselves. Rena.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Hystere.../Recovery.aspx

https://www.verywell.com/in-depth-ov...urgery-3157277

https://www.hysterectomy-association.org.uk/
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 02:55 PM

Sorry ti hear this Floydy, my best wishes to you both on a speedy and complete recovery.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 02:59 PM

I have no experience of this personally, Floydy, but I do hope all goes well for your wife, and that she gets better again really soon.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Oh yes floydy , many girls I know have had hysterectmy and are ok with it . In fact they felt better . Better out than in in your wife's case . She will need to rest and may walk a little slower for a little while after . I'm sure she will be given pain killers too . Horrid that she may have to have chemo bless her but medicine is wonderful these days isn't it . Best get it over and done . By the way don't make her laugh after cause it hurts like hell to laugh .

A little smile for you , my mate had it done and her husband asked her if she was ok as she'd had her giblets out , she laughed and laughed and cried as it hurt to laugh .All the best to your lovely wife . Look after her and spoil her like mad .
Very kind words, thanks susan
Hopefully she won't need any chemo if the operation gets rid of everything and it's contained inside the tumour that's coming out. (I think that's how it works).

I do like the 'giblets' story and I'll use that after the operation, but not before as she may not see the funny side!

I'm taking some time off, but it's probably a good thing I do work nights as she could also sleep in the mornings and I can look after her properly when I get up too. We'll see how things go.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

12-08-2017, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
My daughter-in-law had a hysterectomy ten days ago. She was in hospital for 48 hours and is now recovering at home. Although she is still extremely sore and tires easily, we have been to the cinema this week and yesterday I drove her to a horse show for a couple of hours. She is in her 40's. She had no external stitches, they are all internal and all she had externally was a dressing.

That is exactly the same as when I was operated on last year for bowel cancer, which has resulted in me having an ileostomy and also chemo. It has taken me a lot longer to recover, but then I am twice her age. I live alone and have coped alone since my discharge from hospital. My motto is "do a bit and sit a bit".

I wish your wife well for her operation, she is lucky to have family support, look after her.
This is very reassuring, thanks Ceecee

I'm sure there will always be someone around to see to my wife's needs. Her two daughters live close by if I'm out.
I do like the idea of cinema visits - that is certainly something we could do in the afternoons which may take her mind off the pain for a couple of hours.

Best wishes to you and your daughter-in-law too, on your continuing recoveries.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

12-08-2017, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I am sorry to hear your wife is not well and needing surgery Floydy. I had a radical hysterectomy when I was in my early sixties and although I can't say it was not painful afterwards, I have recovered and made it through to my seventies. The surgeons removed my uterus/womb, ovaries, fallopian tubes and cervix (so not much left really). It turned out that I did not need chemotherapy so I cannot help you there.
The pain relief is very good after surgery - especially if a spinal block (epidural) is given as well as the GA. Your wife will probably stay in hospital a few days and will go home with a list of do's and don'ts. The district nurse will come home to attend to the wound and stiches. My incision was made on my bikini line (and the scar fades but does remain). The area is also numb for a surprising amount of time and is sometimes a bit sensitive.
It is important not to lift anything heavy for a while. She will probably feel very tired and some women are a bit emotional for a while, so you must take good care of her. After a few days at home your wife will be able to go for little walks, but nothing strenuous, just a gentle stroll (10 minutes building up gradually). She must not do any housework (seriously). After six weeks she will need to attend an Out-patient appointment and recovery time is usually about six weeks, but longer before she gets her full strength back If she still works she will have a sick note for six weeks - longer, if necessary. Every woman's experience is specific to her and some women (especially if they re younger) can feel loss, which is another reason to be kind and considerate to your lady. Personally I was glad to be rid of it all.
There is a wealth of information available and I have attached a couple of safe links which may help. The hysgterectomy association is the third one and is useful to keep.
I would like to wish your wife a speedy recovery and tell you not to worry too much - recovery rates from hysterectomy surgery are very good. Take care of yourselves. Rena.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Hystere.../Recovery.aspx

https://www.verywell.com/in-depth-ov...urgery-3157277

https://www.hysterectomy-association.org.uk/
This is very helpful, Aerolor, and informative too. I have seen some of this information and I'm sure my wife is very well genned up on it, but it's really good of you to seek it out, thank you

Your recovery appears to be as I expected. It's really a matter of dealing with the pain and also being careful you don't disturb the stitches etc. My wife is also in her early 60's, so I'm sure she will relate to this when I show her these posts after the op. I haven't mentioned me posting anything on here yet as I know she would want to keep it quiet for now, but it's not as if people know her I suppose.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how she gets on.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top