Join for free
Page 11 of 11 « First < 9 10 11
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 08:16 PM

Re: Cyclist says it was victims fault

Charlie Alliston potentially facing perjury charge over claim he worked as a courier

Charlie Alliston, who was yesterday sentenced to 18 months in a young offender institution in connection with the death of London pedestrian Kim Briggs, could reportedly face a charge of perjury after claiming under oath at his trial last month that he was an experienced bike courier.

He told the Old Bailey at his trial that he had spent eight months working as a courier in London, making up to 20 deliveries a day.

Alliston had apparently been seeking to convince the jury that his experience meant that he was able to control the bike safely.

He claimed while giving evidence that he had worked for three different firms.

One, Go Between Couriers, said that he had worked for them for one day but never came back while a second, A-Z Couriers, confirmed that he had spent a week working there.

A third firm, Pink Express, ceased trading in 2014, a year before the time Alliston said he worked for them.

At the Old Bailey yesterday, Judge Wendy Joseph said: “I have now been advised that Mr Alliston was not telling the truth about his courier experience.”

In England & Wales the offence of perjury, created under the Perjury Act 1911, carries a maximum penalty of seven years’ imprisonment or a fine, or both
I'd like to see Alliston get 7 years but, in all likelihood, no perjury charges will be brought .....
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2017, 05:18 PM

Bring back the stocks i say .
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2017, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
The pillory, too:

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2017, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Originally Posted by Omah ->
The pillory, too:

In all seriousness, I think that making use of such things would be far more effective than such 'punishments' as cautions and suspended sentences.

If you watch the police programmes on the telly, when they catch the criminals, the one thing that seems to upset them more than anything else is that fact that they think their faces are being shown to the public!

What better, then, than putting their faces on show in the middle of town for a day or so, and bonus is that we the victims can enjoy ourselves pelting them with anything that comes to hand: forget rotten fruit, I'm thinking more along the lines of dog poo!

Page 11 of 11 « First < 9 10 11

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top