Join for free
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2017, 10:40 PM

Re: Cyclist says it was victims fault

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I was really upset to read this story today. The guy is typical of some of the psycho cyclists I've met - the one that pulled off my wing mirror, the one that jumped into the road waving her arms and yelling. Something takes over some people once they get on a bike. Maybe it's like the jogging guy - they go into some exercise trance. They go right through red lights but expect you to jump out of the way. They should all be licensed. People should not be allowed on a bike on the road without passing a special test.
Christ Annie - we agree on something...............
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2017, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Christ Annie - we agree on something...............
hallelujah!
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
He sounds like a right arrogant bastard. Get him jailed.
As he up at the O/B before a jury you could face criminal charges over that statement.

But I do agree.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 07:20 AM

A few 'If found guilty' disclaimer comments could be in order. It looks like the cyclist broke the law by riding a bicycle on the road with a fixed wheel and no front brake. How much bearing this had on what happened is what is being debated in a Courtroom and we aren't there to hear it. Regardless of the trial's outcome, a discussion about an individual cycling incident is likely to lead to criticism of cyclists in general.

I think this is unfair. Laws get broken all the time by both cyclists and motorists. Yet if one of the thousands of bad motorists kills a person, we don't jump in and say that all motorists are awful do we? No, we blame the individual motorist. When a cyclist is involved, all cyclists seemingly get lumped together and all become bad. A cyclist being involved in the death of a pedestrian is pretty rare compared to the number of motorists that are.

I drive a car and like anyone else, see some examples of bad cycling. On the other hand, I'm also a cyclist and see some pretty poor driving and parking examples. Cyclists have an equal reason to dislike cars because of the sheer number of them on the roads, along with the accidents and the bad air they cause. No one group has the moral or legal high ground as to who should be on the roads in my opinion.

Cyclists do pay road tax. Roads are paid for out of the general taxation that we all pay. Cyclists therefore have paid to use the roads. The Vehicle Excise Duty paid by motorists is based on the pollution that cars emit. Bicycles don't emit any. Even if VED is thought to be road tax under another name, it is motor vehicles that hammer the road to bits and cause them to need repair. Bicycles don't damage roads.

Pedestrians quite rightly complain about cyclists on the footpaths. I do too. However, another problem I come across as a cyclist is pedestrians walking on and often obstructing cycle paths. Perhaps the same pedestrians who might complain about cyclists on the footpaths?

Unfortunate for those who hold anti-cycling views but I believe as it gets more and more impossible to get places in cars due to the ever increasing road congestion and parking problems, we will see an increase in the number of cyclists. Cars get stuck in city and town snarl-ups while cyclists get to where they want to go. Motorists might see this and take to the pedals themselves, providing they are physically fit enough to do so.

I agree about insurance and I personally have some dedicated cycling insurance. I think it might be found that some of the lycra-clad cyclists have insurance too. This will perhaps become a legal requirement some time in the future.

However, the trouble is that if too much financial levy or any other barrier is put on cyclists, they might be tempted to get back into their already insured cars rather than pay to ride their bikes, so adding to all the usual traffic problems. Most adult cyclists are likely to be motorists too and so will have that option.

Rather than frowning on cycling, I think we have to start leaving our cars behind when we can. Walking and public transport often isn't a quick enough way of getting places and cycling can be the answer for many.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 07:23 AM

Good post Mart smack on the button.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 07:53 AM

As the number of cyclists increases so too does the number of aggressive incidents. So they should be registered and identifiable when using a public highway. It doesn't have to cost the cyclist much and can be added to the cost of a bike. Many cyclists shell out a fortune for a bike & equipment and head-cams anyway and aren't short of a bob or two. It's not so often the poor that cycle, but wealthy directors and professionals. If they are using busy roads they should pass a test and hold insurance just as scooters and mopeds do. Our roads aren't geared to bikes and if cyclists don't do a training course they may not be aware of what a danger they pose both to themselves and others.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 08:02 AM

Motorcyclists have to pass a stringent test, don't stop em thinking the road is a race track, even through the rush hour time of day, when half the time, at the speed they are travelling, it is easy not to see them coming.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
[[B It's not so often the poor that cycle, but wealthy directors and professionals. [/B].
Er no .
Generalisation .
Loads of people from all strata of society ride bikes.
Bikes come in all shapes sizes and prices .
They are probaby cheaper now than they have even been .
A second hand one can be bought for very little .
In fact you can go to the tip and pick one up For nothing
There are also charities that recycle bikes .

If you can smoke you can afford a bike .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 08:17 AM

I wonder older people don't use adult trikes before taking to the mobility scooter.
So often I see people who are very overweight on these scooters who might benefit from using a trike instead .
I think that mobility scooters are great but some people use them when they would be better off walking .
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 08:23 AM

For a lot of folk, it is a lifetime choice, when a kid, I noticed other kids who, given the choice, would take public transport, in preference to getting on their bike.
I wonder if Norman Tebbits kids had Bikes?

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top