Join for free
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 10:51 PM

Re: When is right to remove a statue?

More trying to place today's values on yesterday's values and trying to whitewash the past. As slave owners, will George Washington and Thomas Jefferson be removed from Mount Rushmore? Will slave owning Andrew Jackson be removed from twenty dollar bills?

How far do you need to go to appease the SJWs of this world?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 11:03 PM

it is best, probably, to never Dis any group intentionally, everyone has an angle, from which they spout, and all may be valid, at one time or another.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 07:31 AM

Very true, Spitfire.

Once the statues are gone what is next? Rewriting all the history and excluding those who are not currently in favour?

They cannot expunge facts!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 07:39 AM

One can't help but think of the Buddhas of Bamiyan .
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 07:51 AM

It is said that "You are known by the company you keep!" - in which case our ultra-sensitive social justice warrior snowflakes need to remember (although history doesn't appear to be their strong point) who their spiritual forerunners are in this respect, who else wanted to destroy history and start from Year One - ISIS, Pol Pot, Mao's Red Guard. Not my idea of role models!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 11:36 AM

When it is a statue of a fat war criminal?

CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Very true, Spitfire.

Once the statues are gone what is next? Rewriting all the history and excluding those who are not currently in favour?

They cannot expunge facts!
Statues are not facts. History too is very unreliable in that it is very rarely written impartially. By removing statues, it certainly does not remove the historical event, no matter how it was reported.

By all means have memorials to those servicemen who gave their lives fighting for their homeland, but leave it at that. A statue is nothing more than a lump of stone/metal or whatever.

p.s. I write this as an ex-Service wife of over twenty years, not some white flag waver.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 01:22 PM

It's not just that ,a statue is often a work of art that adds to the beauty of its surroundings .

People forget what happened last week much less what happened in past history .
A statue keep memories alive good or bad as they may be .

This is rather a nice one of Ghandi
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 02:38 PM

I agree Muddy, some are works of art. I love Anthony Gormley works, but I do feel that statues commemorating well known individuals should be, like other art works, in a museum or art gallery. That way they cannot be used to prove political viewpoints of either side when in the same venue, but are viewed dispassionately.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

18-08-2017, 02:55 PM

I like them in public spaces many are too big to go inside.
I don't think statues prove anything they are just memorials to something or some one that has passed.

This is a the animals in war memorial in Hyde Park

http://www.animalsinwar.org.uk/index.cfm?asset_id=1374

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top