Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 09:24 PM

Private Hygienists

Do you have to pay for your hygienist appt up front?

Our NHS dental practitioner retired and were all referred to another NHS dental practice.

At the old practice, the hygienist (private) had all appts at 20mins slots. She was exceptionally thorough and you paid after treatment.

At this new practice - the dentist tells us to book a certain time with the hygienist ie 15 mins, 20 mins, 30 mins - all at different prices.

The last time I went I had to pay for the dental treatment plus the hygienist appt - although the hygienists appt was so many weeks on.

I'm due at the dentist in a couple of weeks and I feel I don't want to book the hygienist just because I don't think she's anywhere near as thorough as my last one, plus I'd have to pay up front.
It makes me feel untrustworthy or something or she's a money grabbing so and so.

Do you have to pre-pay at your practice?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 09:26 PM

Re: Private Hygienists

I too went to a new hygienist ( just because we moved and was shocked to be asked for the money up front ) must be a trend.
Not one I like .
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 09:29 PM

Tut. I think it's awful. Surely they must lose out as there must be lots of folk who can't afford to pay upfront - especially when it's lobbed onto the dentist's fee.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 09:32 PM

Well I've never heard of that before, Pesta.
What a bloomin' cheek!
Have you asked WHY? Do they think you might do a runner?

I pay after treatment, not before.

That's like being asked to pay for your shopping, a new top, your meal, or anything else before you have it!

The old money grabbers.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

21-08-2017, 09:34 PM

Exactly Mups
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 09:44 PM

Please can l ask what the hygienist does that the dentist doesn't do at the time of the check up, scale and polish?
I have never been to a hygienist, nor has it ever been suggested.
I pay £20.60 at my NHS dentists for a check up, scale and polish, which includes an X-ray if required. I pay after the treatment.
My teeth are great considering my age!! (21)
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

21-08-2017, 09:47 PM

Art, in the old days, dentist used to do the scale and polish.

Now it's done by hygienists.

They can even do small fillings and stuff now too.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 09:51 PM

I must say, Art, I had never seen a hygienist in my life either until about a year ago.
I do look after my teeth, (still got them all too), and I thought they were fine, but after the hygienist gave them a really good clean I did see the difference - subtle, but nice. I was pleased.

I suspect they are doing this now partly to rake in more money for the practice, and partly to free up the dentist quicker to get more patients seen to.
If the dentist can see more people in a day, it must increase their money, and then with a hygienist doubling up on takings, it must be a good money spinner.

I certainly wouldn't be happy about being asked to pay in advance though. I would want to know why.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 10:33 PM

Like Art, I've never been to a hygienist, the dentist does the cleaning etc all in the £20.60 fee. However, in the last couple of years, I have had to pay for treatment in advance, I can only assume that some patients have left without paying!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 11:24 PM

I go to a hygienist once a year maybe. I would not on any account ever let a dentist clean my teeth again. I did once and it was the most painful and traumatic experience ever. I did not realise my teeth were so sensitive and I did not need my gums to be deep cleaned. I hate dentists with a passion and I don't think most people need regular check ups or any dental work, but they do need regular hygiene appointments with someone gentle but thorough.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top