Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 11:40 PM

Re: Private Hygienists

I have been going to a hygenist for years !
No dentist has ever offered to do a scale and polish .
The dentist will do a clean but an increased price of course.
The hygienist costs £45-£68 the dentist about £62-£70 depending on where you go . They are all expensive.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I go to a hygienist once a year maybe. I would not on any account ever let a dentist clean my teeth again. I did once and it was the most painful and traumatic experience ever. I did not realise my teeth were so sensitive and I did not need my gums to be deep cleaned. I hate dentists with a passion and I don't think most people need regular check ups or any dental work, but they do need regular hygiene appointments with someone gentle but thorough.
Annie, l am not keen on going to the dentist but after seeing my mother's false teeth in a cup of fizzing water with a Steradent tablet in it, convinced me l should take care of my teeth!

I remember once when l brought a boyfriend home for coffee, he picked up my mother's dentures off the mantelpiece and clacked them together, like castanets!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I have been going to a hygenist for years !
No dentist has ever offered to do a scale and polish .
The dentist will do a clean but an increased price of course.
The hygienist costs £45-£68 the dentist about £62-£70 depending on where you go . They are all expensive.
Muddy, That must be a private dental practice to charge those prices?
I just go to an NHS dentist and haven't had to have any extra treatment for years.
My sister goes privately, to a swanky dental practice where the dentist's yellow Ferrari is parked outside. I suppose, now she's having even more implants fitted at a cost of £8000, her first four cost the same amount, he can afford it!!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 12:12 AM

No hygienist works on the NHS Art
They all charge as private.
Implants are always private too .
Where we live they cost £2500each ( Mr M has just been quoted that and its not for cosmetic its a dental problem) so your sister didn't do so bad, Maybe she got a discount for four!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

22-08-2017, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
No hygienist works on the NHS Art
They all charge as private.

Nice little earner!!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

22-08-2017, 12:18 AM

It certainly is i personally think it should be on the NHS .
No one can clean the plaque as a hygienist can and that leads to gum disease and tooth loss.
Its no mystery why poorer people often have bad teeth.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 12:19 AM

My dentist charges:

£20.60 for what they call 'Band 1' treatment.
This includes examination, X-rays if needed, quick scale and polish.

Band 2 is £56.30. This is the same as the above, but includes further treatments such as fillings, root canal work or if the dentist feels you need to have one one or more teeth out.

Band 3 is everything covered in the two above, PLUS crowns, dentures and bridges.

The Hygienist charges £48 for a 20 min. appointment.

When you think about this, it means the Hygienist earns nearly £150 an hour - probably almost as much as a solicitor!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

22-08-2017, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
My dentist charges:

£20.60 for what they call 'Band 1' treatment.
This includes examination, X-rays if needed, quick scale and polish.

Band 2 is £56.30. This is the same as the above, but includes further treatments such as fillings, root canal work or if the dentist feels you need to have one one or more teeth out.

Band 3 is everything covered in the two above, PLUS crowns, dentures and bridges.

When you think about this, it means the Hygienist earns nearly £150 an hour - probably almost as much as a solicitor!
Mups, My dentist doesn't do a quick scale and polish, its long and thorough and my hands are purple from all the clenching.
I try to think, it will be soon be over and l won't have to have it done for six months!
She always says, 'Hold your hand up at any time if you want me to stop'! I never do...l'm too polite!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 12:48 AM

They don't exactly call it a "quick scale and polish" Art, that is just my interpretation.
The scale and polish my dentist does nowadays is nothing like as thorough as the hygienist does.

The Band 1 treatment also covers "an application of flouride varnish or fissure sealant" (whatever that is ).
However, if you need urgent care, even if it takes more than one appointment to complete, you still only pay the Band 1 fee.

I admit I wouldn't have known all this myself if I hadn't picked up a leaflet about charges when I went a week or two ago.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Out of that he/she (although for some reason they are almost always she) will have to pay the surgery overheads, equipment, tax etc. I don't think they are so wealthy. It's private dentists who make a mint.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top