Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 09:53 AM

Re: Legalise cannabis to end 'free market anarchy', says Sir Vince Cable

Well I think it's a good idea it's no worse than booze IMO and police can spend more time on more damaging crimes. I think it's time we accepted we've lost the war on drugs and find ways to make taking them safer. We may see an increase in takers at first but I'm certain it will settle back to a lower level once you take the illegal tag off it.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 10:11 AM

The police would have to spend more time on drug related driving Julie. It is naïve to think that cannabis is harmless IMO.
I also don't think for one minute that all the growers are going to come forward to be taxed and regulated. Folks are happily making a good living from growing with relative impunity. Who is going to go around trying to tax them - it would cost money and be a nightmare to implement. According to someone I know £70,000 a year can be made without a lot of effort. Skunk (and variations) can cause a lot of disruption to lives and - no I definitely would not want to see cannabis legalised. Prescription usage excepted. About the best thing we can do is educate folks about drugs and impose stricter penalties for those who use and supply.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well I think it's a good idea it's no worse than booze IMO and police can spend more time on more damaging crimes.
Having worked with young drug users for over 40 years, one of the biggest myths is that Cannabis is a "safe" drug. It may be physiologically less damaging than alcohol and other illegal drugs, but its effects are more subtle. One of the most noticeable effects is the fact that it saps young peoples' motivation and severely reduces the likelihood of them working hard at their education and achieving good results - which of course impacts greatly on their future prospects. I've seen huge numbers of young people throw away their future in this manner.
A less common but even more worrying aspect of cannabis use is the now well established link between Cannabis use and psychoses (particularly Paranoid Schizophrenia) as well as lower level anxiety based mental illnesses. Research is now showing clearly that there is a very strong link between heavy cannabis use at an early age, and the development of psychotic illnesses in early adulthood. In my own work I have come across several young people who have developed full blown Paranoid Schizophrenia after heavy cannabis usage in their early teenage years, as well as dozens who have developed serious anxiety disorders necessitating psychiatric treatment.
I accept that for many (most) adult users, there will be no ill-effects and I understand the motivation for calls for legalisation, but I would only accept them if such legalisation offered enough protection for our vulnerable young people.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Having worked with young drug users for over 40 years, one of the biggest myths is that Cannabis is a "safe" drug. It may be physiologically less damaging than alcohol and other illegal drugs, but its effects are more subtle. One of the most noticeable effects is the fact that it saps young peoples' motivation and severely reduces the likelihood of them working hard at their education and achieving good results - which of course impacts greatly on their future prospects. I've seen huge numbers of young people throw away their future in this manner.
A less common but even more worrying aspect of cannabis use is the now well established link between Cannabis use and psychoses (particularly Paranoid Schizophrenia) as well as lower level anxiety based mental illnesses. Research is now showing clearly that there is a very strong link between heavy cannabis use at an early age, and the development of psychotic illnesses in early adulthood. In my own work I have come across several young people who have developed full blown Paranoid Schizophrenia after heavy cannabis usage in their early teenage years, as well as dozens who have developed serious anxiety disorders necessitating psychiatric treatment.
I accept that for many (most) adult users, there will be no ill-effects and I understand the motivation for calls for legalisation, but I would only accept them if such legalisation offered enough protection for our vulnerable young people.
Good post. I hate anything to do with cannabis or drugs of any nature. If people knew the number of young and older adults with mental health issues now, they might think again. Many are not even diagnosed correctly, but that is no doubt due to the fluctuating and different symptoms portrayed.

Dealing with someone suffering from psychosis is pretty darned difficult. So we should not wish it upon anyone, particularly our grandchildren.

The unfortunate thing is, Lib Dem leader is simply vote catching a the earliest opportunity. They had 5 yrs to implement this, but they didn't .
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 12:44 PM

add drugs to the equation and it's a whole different set of peculiarities. Including aliens, hate, violence, sleep depravation, grief the list is endless. Sadly , never any happiness.

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 01:13 PM

Well I am hoping if it wasn't illegal we might see people taking them more safely and not have these problems. From what I've seen and I admit it's limited by my own experience and guiding the boys through the mess, it's more to do with doing something illegal that attracts many youngsters, that naughtiness that comes with it.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 02:09 PM

An excellent and sensible post Mick. Cannabis can have very similar knock on effects to Miraa, which is widely used in Kenya but banned in most other African countries. Also banned in UK now, I believe since 2014.

I wouldn´t like to see Cannabis legalised, other than for medical purposes, too many people who would be only too keen to try it, which would in many cases lead on to harder drugs.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 05:54 PM

Excellent post Mick !
Having lived in the Carribean for some years where the use of weed is common I have seen some of these adverse effects first hand .
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Excellent post Mick !
Having lived in the Carribean for some years where the use of weed is common I have seen some of these adverse effects first hand .
Plenty of evidence in Luton as well!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top