Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 01:50 PM

Re: Let your MP know what you think

[QUOTE=Bruce;1218981]
Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Hello, This is the thread where I will post a template of a letter to send to your MP. You will need to copy and paste it on to your own computer and type, under the headings, your opinions and questions.

I agree with contacting your MP but why not go and speak to him/her? Surely s/he has an office in your electorate where he will be when parliament is not sitting?

My local federal MP has an office few blocks from me and I often drop in to get some photocopying done for some organisations I volunteer for. If I have a gripe about a federal issue I tell him about it and we discuss it; usually I write as well to confirm what we talked about.

He is often at the local shopping mall having coffee and doesn't mind a chat. Let's face parliament only sits about 200 days a year so MPs spend a lot of time at home in their electorate. Just look at your MPs web page eg:

http://www.stephenjones.org.au/contact

The State MP likewise though I don't get photocopying done at her office (smaller budget I guess)
We have decided to do it by letter a) because politicians rarely answer direct questions these days and b) because we want their answers in writing. Apart from that, some people work or have other commitments and I don't think it should be necessary, for the public, to have to go out of their way to make sure politicians are doing the job they are paid to do.
If your way works in Australia I can understand why you go and talk to them, but here in Britain I find it more productive of you get their responses in writing!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 01:59 PM

[QUOTE=Muddy;1218989]
Originally Posted by Bruce ->

Bruce this is a constant point of annoyance with me.
My MP does not hold surgeries
Its a disgrace and i have complained about it many times .
now you have mentioned it again i intend to write to the local paper and bring it to their attention once again.
I am not sure what you mean by a surgery - doesn't he have an office you can call in to?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_2017.08.24_23h06m45s_001_.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	3799  
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 02:06 PM

[QUOTE=Bruce;1219002]
Originally Posted by Muddy ->

I am not sure what you mean by a surgery - doesn't he have an office you can call in to?
Thats what we call meeting with out MPs here Bruce .
An MP holds a 'surgery'.
(Ironically my MP is a doctor)
They ( or a least he) does have and office somewhere ( but not like the one in your picture usually some obscure place where it is most difficult for people to find and they are guarded by minions and you cant see them. He phones people at his time and convenience and he can cut the conversation at his pleasure.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 02:18 PM

[QUOTE=Bruce;1218981]
Hello, This is the thread where I will post a template of a letter to send to your MP. You will need to copy and paste it on to your own computer and type, under the headings, your opinions and questions.

I agree with contacting your MP but why not go and speak to him/her? Surely s/he has an office in your electorate where he will be when parliament is not sitting?

My local federal MP has an office few blocks from me and I often drop in to get some photocopying done for some organisations I volunteer for. If I have a gripe about a federal issue I tell him about it and we discuss it; usually I write as well to confirm what we talked about.

He is often at the local shopping mall having coffee and doesn't mind a chat. Let's face parliament only sits about 200 days a year so MPs spend a lot of time at home in their electorate. Just look at your MPs web page eg:

http://www.stephenjones.org.au/contact

The State MP likewise though I don't get photocopying done at her office (smaller budget I guess)

https://annawatson.com.au/contact/
The advantage of putting things in writing - and this applies generally, not only with regard to politicians - is that you have a record of what you have written and, hopefully, what your MP writes in reply.

When I deal with my broadband supplier (Virgin), I refuse to discuss things on the telephone as they can deny having said anything. Written replies provide evidence.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 02:34 PM

People can use the things I have said, if they think they are right, as the main reason for posting my comments was to encourage those, who don't often write to their MP, to say exactly what they think.
Many people find it difficult to write to those in authority, but I often do so and I want our voting public to have ability, in telling the government, if they think they are wrong.
If we don't our MPs well assume that they are doing what we want them to do.... and often they are not!
Quite so. And another thing I find preferable about yours compared to mine is the use of numbered lists of each specific point. Much easier for reference, especially if the MP uses the same method in his/her reply.
Heatherbelle
Canada
Heatherbelle is female  Heatherbelle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 03:19 PM

Twink: I am very impressed with your idea. Activity is always better than passivity. MP's aren't mind readers - when they realize citizens are not as content with current affairs as they seem to think, it will force them to take action. There is a lot of discontent everywhere due to the same reasons aforementioned and yes, it is time to stop sitting back and start fighting for OUR rights. And JBR - funny you should mention that about numbers because management, MP's etc. prefer seeing things headed by bullets or numbers - somehow it gets their attention as they can then separate the ideas. Wonderful suggestions by all who replied.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 03:26 PM

Thanks Heatherbelle, Most people would love to tell their MP's what they think, but are never sure how to do it. I hope this will encourage more to do so.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

24-08-2017, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Bruce this is a constant point of annoyance with me.
My MP does not hold surgeries
Its a disgrace and i have complained about it many times .
now you have mentioned it again i intend to write to the local paper and bring it to their attention once again.
I don't know where you live, Muddy, but can I assume that your MP has the benefit of living in a 'safe seat'? That might explain why s/he doesn't feel the need to bother with 'surgeries'.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

24-08-2017, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Heatherbelle ->
And JBR - funny you should mention that about numbers because management, MP's etc. prefer seeing things headed by bullets or numbers - somehow it gets their attention as they can then separate the ideas.
And because many of them are not desperately bright!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I don't know where you live, Muddy, but can I assume that your MP has the benefit of living in a 'safe seat'? That might explain why s/he doesn't feel the need to bother with 'surgeries'.
I am registered to vote in Bracknell Forest -I don't live there but have never changed my voting area ( I am entitled to do this ) It is a iron cast Tory seat .
The previous MP was Andrew McKay the biggest expenses cheat who in the 27 years he was MP for Bracknell Forest never held a surgery .His successor carries on this tradition .
Where I live now I have not bothered to register it is also cast iron Tory .

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top