Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 11:13 PM

Re: Sharing Patient information?

I'm more worried about hacking and whether the data is stored on a third party platform abroad in breach of UK rules or narrowly meeting them. How do you know who will have access or whether at some point in the future the data platform changes hands and it's transferred to a less secure arena.

You have to weigh up the risks. It's really helpful to hospitals if you agree to share because they can avoid giving you the wrong treatment.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2017, 05:10 AM

I know we should all be aware of hackers and take care of our privacy but in this case what would they find? How would my health record be of use to anyone? I think we have to allow some sharing i can only see advantages
Incidentally I was told at my well woman check the other day that I'm in the top 10 per cent on the health scale in which case I worry for the other 90 per cent especially like now in the middle of the night when I can't sleep
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2017, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I'm more worried about hacking and whether the data is stored on a third party platform abroad in breach of UK rules or narrowly meeting them. How do you know who will have access or whether at some point in the future the data platform changes hands and it's transferred to a less secure arena.

You have to weigh up the risks. It's really helpful to hospitals if you agree to share because they can avoid giving you the wrong treatment.
Yes, I don't think it's secure any longer is it ? We had the sharing of NHS records anyway, I think this was the next step and to be perfectly honest the closing date was probably about 2 years ago, and we were kept in the dark IMO. It is also stated that many personal requests to refrain from sharing data were ignored .

Not too sure who the data was to be shared with now but I am sure I read it was a central data bank in USA. (could be wrong, so don't take it as gospel)
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2017, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Yes, I don't think it's secure any longer is it ? We had the sharing of NHS records anyway, I think this was the next step and to be perfectly honest the closing date was probably about 2 years ago, and we were kept in the dark IMO. It is also stated that many personal requests to refrain from sharing data were ignored .

Not too sure who the data was to be shared with now but I am sure I read it was a central data bank in USA. (could be wrong, so don't take it as gospel)
Do you mean this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36723486
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2017, 07:50 AM

Some more on it :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/heal...-insurers.html

Phil Booth, from privacy campaign group medConfidential, said: “The language in the document is extraordinary; this isn’t about patients, this is about exploiting a market. Of course any commercial organisation will focus on making a profit – the question is why is the NHS prepared to hand this data over?”

He added: “We have been categorically told that it would be illegal for GP data to be handed over to insurers, yet already all this hospital data has been extracted. It blows out of the water the idea that patients’ privacy is being protected.”

Last week Tim Kelsey, director for patients and information at NHS England, said it will be “a criminal offence” for any information entered into the new giant database, which will combine GP and hospital records, to be sold for insurance purposes. However, a database which only contains hospital records remains a separate entity, with its own rules allowing greater access to third parties.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

25-08-2017, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Do you mean this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36723486
Yes, I think that was originally. Annie There have been many and various updates on it. Not too sure where we are up to now.

People may think I'm obsessed with the all inclusive process of the EU, which will now not happen. This directive (for want of a better word) was produced in 2013..... we voted Brexit in June 2016.......the BBC article announced July 2016......... jut a coincidence maybe, but could it have been the first thing to be pulled after Brexit before it was too late.

https://ec.europa.eu/health//sites/h...dations_en.pdf
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2017, 08:36 AM

I have no problem with my medical information being shared.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2017, 10:45 AM

It depends on who they are sharing your data with.

My medical condition is between me and my doctor - not insurance companies, et al.

The local hospital shares the same medical data as my doctor as they both log in to the same database, but I have explicitly stated that further than that I don't want my medical records shared with anyone.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2017, 12:00 PM

I assumed they stored it using our NHS numbers not names and addresses ?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top