Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 09:04 AM

Re: Autumn adventures.

Lovely pictures Nom cute little spider
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Lovely photos Nom!

I had a small adventure today! Stourhead visit with middle daughter for her birthday treat.

Attachment 4035

Attachment 4037

Attachment 4038

Absolutely knackered now!
Lovely pics of Stourhead, Tess ... I have never visited there unfortunately.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2017, 08:59 AM

A quiet week up here so not much to report.Last Monday saw me doing a wader count as numbers start to rise. St Marys is nationally important for wintering Golden Plover, ive had counts of over 5000 in past years. these breed in Iceland Greenland and upland areas, return spend Winter on the coast.

Lapwing, Curlew, and Oystercatchers were back in numbers.

Fast forward to Friday for a nice surprise, A group of Ruff appeared in the harvested field i saw 9 but 18 had been reported, scarce at this siteivve only seen a handfull here in nearly 40 years.

Turtle Dove, Little Stint, and Curlew Sandpiper have also visited the site last week.

Curlew Sandpiper....record shot.

A single Swallow still hanging around and both Sparrowhawk and Grey Heron being heavily mobbed by Jackdaws provide some good nature watching.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2017, 11:39 AM

Thank you for your update on your birding, Nom.
We used to get lots of Golden Plover on the moor in Winter, several years ago. I have ridden a horse through a flock. They were so used to the moor ponies that they didn't take any notice as long as you were very quiet. I don't know if the birds still go there in Winter.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2017, 01:17 PM

Yes its grand to see the Golden Plover Flocking Tiffany coverinng the skies.

But its slow at the moment, left looking at pigeons.

Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

29-09-2017, 11:39 AM

Last 4 days have been interesting with SE winds drifting birds over the North sea from the continent. A fall of Yellow-browed warblers on the coast has proven popular with the birding comunity.

These tiny sibes mange to cross the North sea, Sibes' are the greatest prize for rarity hunters. This term encompasses vagrant eastern passerines hailing from the taiga, bogs and wet grassland of Siberia, most of which winter in South-East Asia; naturally, the range of some of the species covered here reaches into other parts of Asia or west into European Russia and even Scandinavia.

Tiny jewels and so hard to photograph, as they are very active among the canopy.

A few of the admirers hoping for a glimpse.

The weather had a more Autumnal feel but it was warm, roll on October my favourite month.

Yesterday i was lucky to find a Short-eared owl coming in off the sea to winter here, 2cd this week.

But my best find was a Nightjar, truly appalling photo of the same.

And a link to a decent photo of the same species.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?clie...Vkcu4NdcPTLSM:
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2017, 03:49 PM

Super photos Nom, very misty in places too. What time of the day were those photos taken?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2017, 11:51 PM

Great shots, Nom, even if not so good, lovely to see a Nightjar on the ground. I've only ever seen them flying after moths at dusk.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

30-09-2017, 07:46 AM

Thanks Mags and Tifffany, i was there from 11 until 4 each day and would have been down at 7 if i could as if the fog lifts birds take chance to move on.

Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

30-09-2017, 08:57 AM

These little jewels are stars of Autumn.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top