Join for free
Page 9 of 9 « First < 7 8 9
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2017, 11:40 PM

Re: Now you'll know what these barstewards are made of

Originally Posted by JBR ->
However, my questions remain unanswered:
What is the other side of the argument? Loss of jobs for the guards (who would no doubt be found work elsewhere on the Underground), or could it be pay freezes for the drivers who already 'earn' more than brain surgeons?

In other words, what is the real reason why the union leaders are doing all they can to disrupt Southern Rail's activities?
The Guards have the assurance their jobs are secure.
I repeat THEIR jobs are secure, the position is lost, so less jobs in future.
The dispute is about the loss of jobs.....long term......not wages, so talk of drivers wages is a total smoke screen.

Let us try this from another angle........Why are the Rail company happy to disrupt their fair paying customers lives and incomes ? Why not continue running trains with guards until agreement is reached ?
When an agreement is reached.....remember the guards will be employed within the company, so no apparent financial benefit to the train company.

Is it because their shareholders are getting dividends, the profits are high, the Chief Executive's salary remains at £2.16 million.

Is it reverse industrial action by the rail company ? A war of attrition to break the workers, making them toe the company line ?

I don't know but it stinks.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2017, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
The Guards have the assurance their jobs are secure.
I repeat THEIR jobs are secure, the position is lost, so less jobs in future.
The dispute is about the loss of jobs.....long term......not wages, so talk of drivers wages is a total smoke screen.

Let us try this from another angle........Why are the Rail company happy to disrupt their fair paying customers lives and incomes ? Why not continue running trains with guards until agreement is reached ?
Thank you. You have just confirmed my suspicions.

The guards (as well as the drivers) still have their jobs. So they are not striking because they might lose their jobs.

On contrary, you tell me they are striking because some people in the future may not be able to work as guards!

How ridiculous!

Things move on. As technology develops, jobs change. When horse-drawn transport became superseded by internal combustion vehicles, did the carriage drivers and grooms go on strike?

How ridiculous!

And then you turn it round in true union leader fashion accusing the rail company of disrupting their customers' lives!

Nothing to do with the workers withdrawing their labour then?

How ridiculous!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2017, 11:57 AM

The guards (as well as the drivers) still have their jobs. So they are not striking because they might lose their jobs.

On contrary, you tell me they are striking because some people in the future may not be able to work as guards!

How ridiculous!

Things move on. As technology develops, jobs change. When horse-drawn transport became superseded by internal combustion vehicles, did the carriage drivers and grooms go on strike?

How ridiculous!

And then you turn it round in true union leader fashion accusing the rail company of disrupting their customers' lives!

How ridiculous!

I'm sure I've answered this elsewhere on the forum, but it seems not to have sunk in to some numpties!!!

The issue is Health and SAFETY!!! Not for the staff, but for the passengers. Living 'out in the sticks' you would not appreciate South of England's electricity supply system to the Railway. Unlike the remainder of the electrified system, on Southern Region (which consists of South Western, Southern, and South Eastern Railways), we use the THIRD rail which carries 900+ DIRECT CURRENT voltage. In the event of an accident, like for instance Clapham Junction back in 1987, some of the passengers climbed out of the damaged carriages and walked alongside the railway track. Luckily no one was electrocuted at that time, but passengers walking on the railway following any sort of accident is highly unadvisable because of the potential SAFETY implications. Southern and now South West companies want to eliminate the position of 'Guard'. Standing instructions are that in the event of the train being involved in any sort of accident, drivers are to remain with the train, thus they are not permitted to 'assist' passengers who disembark and walk along the railway track. The RMT and ASLEF are attempting to preserve the job of 'guard' for purely SAFETY reasons.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2017, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I'm sure I've answered this elsewhere on the forum, but it seems not to have sunk in to some numpties!!!

The issue is Health and SAFETY!!! Not for the staff, but for the passengers. Living 'out in the sticks' you would not appreciate South of England's electricity supply system to the Railway. Unlike the remainder of the electrified system, on Southern Region (which consists of South Western, Southern, and South Eastern Railways), we use the THIRD rail which carries 900+ DIRECT CURRENT voltage. In the event of an accident, like for instance Clapham Junction back in 1987, some of the passengers climbed out of the damaged carriages and walked alongside the railway track. Luckily no one was electrocuted at that time, but passengers walking on the railway following any sort of accident is highly unadvisable because of the potential SAFETY implications. Southern and now South West companies want to eliminate the position of 'Guard'. Standing instructions are that in the event of the train being involved in any sort of accident, drivers are to remain with the train, thus they are not permitted to 'assist' passengers who disembark and walk along the railway track. The RMT and ASLEF are attempting to preserve the job of 'guard' for purely SAFETY reasons.
I'm sure you don't believe me when I tell you that we, up here in the frozen north, also have electricity.

I'm afraid that your excuse falls flat on its face. If a train is involved in an accident, the first thing that passengers would do is stay where they are awaiting help unless, of course, there is an imminent danger, like fire.

In such a situation, I should imagine that most sensible people would make every effort to remove themselves from the train to as great a distance as they could, and tend not to go for a nice walk along the middle of the railway tracks. Who in their right mind would walk along railway tracks when there is plenty of room to the sides?

Of course, perhaps you Southerners think differently from us down to earth Northerners!

Apparently, though, in your world the driver would remain in his cab, presumably reading his Daily Mirror, whilst the single guard would desperately jump from one side of the train to the other (avoiding the live rail, of course) shepherding hundreds of people milling about in all directions.

No, that scenario doesn't quite convince me.

Congratulations, by the way, in managing to type all of that text without feeling the need to include a single mention of your favourite 'scumbag nasty party'!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2017, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->

Hi

What is wrong with Automatic Cutouts?

The train stops without reason and the power to that length is cut automatically.

There are lots of systems in the world operating without guards.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2017, 12:58 PM

I'm sure you don't believe me when I tell you that we, up here in the frozen north, also have electricity.

I'm afraid that your excuse falls flat on its face. If a train is involved in an accident, the first thing that passengers would do is stay where they are awaiting help unless, of course, there is an imminent danger, like fire.

In such a situation, I should imagine that most sensible people would make every effort to remove themselves from the train to as great a distance as they could, and tend not to go for a nice walk along the middle of the railway tracks. Who in their right mind would walk along railway tracks when there is plenty of room to the sides?

Of course, perhaps you Southerners think differently from us down to earth Northerners!

Apparently, though, in your world the driver would remain in his cab, presumably reading his Daily Mirror, whilst the single guard would desperately jump from one side of the train to the other (avoiding the live rail, of course) shepherding hundreds of people milling about in all directions.

No, that scenario doesn't quite convince me.

Congratulations, by the way, in managing to type all of that text without feeling the need to include a single mention of your favourite 'scumbag nasty party'!

Yes I appreciate you have electricity, but to keep you numpties away from it, the rail companies put it in pantograph cables way above your head (yes I'm aware of some numpties persisting in grabbing these cables notwithstanding they carry 30,000 volts). Here on Southern Region we use a third rail - see the photograph - the nearest (raised) rail on the extreme right is the third rail - a recognised walkway passes directly alongside that rail.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...g&action=click
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

18-09-2017, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

What is wrong with Automatic Cutouts?

The train stops without reason and the power to that length is cut automatically.

There are lots of systems in the world operating without guards.

Because train travel in BOTH directions very close to one another - cut the power to the network in both directions and you have instantly created chaos!!!
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2017, 05:43 PM

http://www.over50sforum.com/picture....pictureid=9598
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2017, 08:52 PM

For 'suspicions' can I substitute preconceptions ?
Rhetorical.......no need to answer.

Your getting it now.

How ridiculous!
You fail to grasp the the intricacies of trades union's purpose don't you ?
Have you ever worked in a large industrial setting ?

How ridiculous!
Compared to today, that was a slower transformation, in a totally different world, the world has moved on......................you should try to.

How ridiculous!
What came first ? The strike or the threat to conform to management commands........first with bribery , cash pay outs to change jobs
Then when that was rejected, threats of dismissal ?
Do you think these people strike for fun ?
Are the Guards so well paid they can afford to lose money ?

Remember the rail company does NOT lose money, their share holders will still get dividends.
The Guards lose money, the tax payers lose money (you and me) while the government subsidises rail companies to pay £2 .16 million salaries to the rail bosses.

The unacceptable face of capitalism.

All the evidence is out there.....yesterday the utility companies, housing stocks, the railways.........................tomorrow the NHS.

Page 9 of 9 « First < 7 8 9

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top