Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 08:46 PM

Re: Smelly Memories

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It's an interesting subject because losing the sense of smell is one early sign of alzheimers (the "peanut butter" test). Just goes to show how strong the memory area of the brain vs scent connection is.
Is it?

I thought it was my eternal sinusitis
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
The smell of freshly tarred roads. As a child I remember being sent, with other children, up to the main road being tarred and watching the massive steam roller slowly smoothing the tar.

The smell was very distinctive and supposed to be good for those with bad chests as a result of whooping cough.

Mmmmm.... I can smell it now!
Oh yes.... that lovely smell of fresh tar. Lovely wasn't it?

It was also great for roller skating on when it had dried - SO smooth
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

20-09-2017, 08:49 PM

...... the distinctive smell of the steam trains...
And speedway tracks ..
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

20-09-2017, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Mags, I had a collapsed lung when a baby and Mum also was told to take me near tarring on roads! She often told that story to me.

The smell of a damp forest or woodland reminds me of schooldays. We had a year of spending a day each week (or fortnight, can't remember), going to one of two different field study centres in the nearby forest, and we'd either be out in it, or in the classroom. I always enjoyed those days out and can remember the smell after it had rained.
Oh Jazzi, the smell of a damp forest/woodland! That really doesn't like me - my chest and nose really suffer. Think it's the mould that's around.

I took my daughter and her friends to a forest for Go Ape as a birthday pressie. Never gave it a thought. Think we were there about 2/3 hrs. After half an hour.... oh dear me did I feel it. Suffered for about 2 weeks after
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

20-09-2017, 08:59 PM

Sorry in advance.

One smell I can never forget - and when I'm in the supermarket and see the product on the shelf - I often go back to the smell.
Not a pleasant one either.

Zoflora disinfectant and ridding the smell of death.

I will try and come up with a nice smellyvision (hopefully)
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 09:05 PM

It's the smell of freshly cut hay and the smell of newly ploughed fields. As a child I remember walking to school as the tractors were working the fields.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 10:11 PM

Definitely Tiff ..... as well as specks of ash/grit in your eye
Not to mention the smoke that gets everywhere.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Not to mention the smoke that gets everywhere.
I remember it well!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 11:34 PM

That pungent and addictive smell of leather and strong glue in the Cobblers!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 11:37 PM

Ooh
And a baking hot day after a sudden downpour
That small of warm, damp concrete and steamy earth

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top