Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 02:56 PM

Selling home to fund Care home bills (merged threads)

A contributor to Nick Ferrari's radio show asks the question - which this scumbag 'nasty party' Government have no answer for!!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...3D834984169_uk
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 03:14 PM

Re: Selling home to fund Care home bills (merged threads)

Careful UJ, Big Sister will be watching you, they want to control the Internet now: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a7744176.html
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 03:15 PM

I expected to find a thread on this but can't!

It's been all over the news today so Im surprised.

THe Conservatives are saying that people will be able to keep £100,000 if they sell their houses to fund care.

My mum has been in care for about 6 months now with Alzheimer's and various health issues and is paying around £650 a week. Some homes are a lot more expensive. She has to pay as she owns her own house and lived alone.

Her savings have gone down to about £14,000 now and we are about to get an assessment because that's all she has now apart from her house which is on the market but no buyers yet.

She also had to pay for the carers who helped her at home and that wasn't cheap either.

It is causing me endless stress worrying about this and obviously I can't share my worries with her.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
A contributor to Nick Ferrari's radio show asks the question - which this scumbag 'nasty party' Government have no answer for!!!

Hi

How do you know they have no answer for it UJ?

There was no Government representative on the show.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 03:32 PM

In an ideal world no-one would have to pay for their care but the costs of doing so would be completely unsustainable.

Property assets have been used in the care equation for many years, but at least the minimum residual value will now be increased from the current derisory level to a somewhat more respectable £100k if the conservatives win, and along with the property not having to be sold until after death it would take away a huge amount of worry at a very difficult time. A good policy I would think, in a very difficult area.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->

Hi

I have listened to the interview UJ.

The lady complaining is the daughter and clearly stated that she was herself disabled.

In that case the mandatory disregard will apply and the house will not be sold.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The lady complaining is the daughter and clearly stated that she was herself disabled.

It did not seem obvious to her, she was very upset, and goalposts have been moved before.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 03:41 PM

I know it will throw up some horrors like anyone caring in the persons home may have to sell after they die, but they get yo keep £100,000 which should be enough to house most people after that event.

I'm not sure what else any government can do it has to be paid for some way and if people have assets can be used then it may be only way to do it.

I've encouraged my kids to assume nothing will be there when they get old and to take as much as they can and put it away to pay for their retirements at 19 that seems a long way away and they can't afford a house now or in the near future. Way it's going two may be here with husband and I all our lives.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

At the moment but they are changing rules all the time.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

19-05-2017, 04:08 PM

Hi

The current position is explained here.

https://www.independentage.org/sites...r-property.pdf

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top