Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 02:33 AM

What's It Take To Retire Comfortably?

How have you dealt with retirement? Consider every aspect like planning, debt, health, housing, finances, hobbies, entertainment, travel, social activities.
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 12:04 PM

Re: What's It Take To Retire Comfortably?

A serious plan that you have to start in your early years..
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 01:01 PM

not to mention marrying some one with cash!!!
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 01:29 PM

A secure home for a start - and friends to call on.
Or do you mean financially?
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 01:55 PM

In my 6 months of semi-retirement the biggest obstacle may be occupying your time. Unless you have hobbies and outside activities you can go bonkers sitting at home alone. I go on "road trips", weather permitting" where I'll drive/ride to somewhere, anywhere, just to get out. That's where my photography hobby saves me. I also love to ride my Piaggio BV250 scooter so a road trip on it lets me unwind and adds pleasure.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by bobmielke ->
Removed by writer.
Ah, now you've got us all guessing Bob Don't know what your OP was but in answer to your question, I think it all depends on what you aspire to do in retirement.

For me, I want to do as little as possible I don't want to travel, go on a world cruise, see exotic places (Have been lucky to do most of that as part of my job)

I don't want to be part of a huge social set, go to parties, or meet lots of fellow humans, I don't have a very high opinion of the vast majority of people anyway (OFF members excepted of course )

So what I need in retirement (or semi retirement as I find myself in right now) is enough cash for the daily essentails and to pay the electric etc. and for our two dogs and maybe a bit left over to indulge my main hobby (woodworking)

Sorry long answer, maybe not truly answering your question as you felt the need to 'edit' the OP
bobmielke
Portland, OR

22-01-2011, 02:05 PM

Losos: One of my hobbies in my past was woodworking. I used to make anything out of wood such as furniture, coat & hat racks, Bathroom & kitchen goodies like spice rack, towel bars, medicine cabinets & light fixtures. The hobby was very fulfilling but has to be a thing of the past now because of where I live.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 02:08 PM

In my 6 months of semi-retirement the biggest obstacle may be occupying your time. Unless you have hobbies and outside activities you can go bonkers sitting at home alone. I go on "road trips", weather permitting" where I'll drive/ride to to somewhere, anywhere, just to get out. That's where my photography hobby saves me. I also love to ride my Piaggio BV250 scooter so a road trip on it lets me unwind and adds pleasure.
OK get what you're saying now. If I may suggest it, maybe you need a rickety old house in the mountains, you would never be short of a job to do in that, and you could photograph it, maybe Norm would do a 'This old house' program, I don't think he's ever been to Portland 'tho I could be wrong (Haven't seen him on our TV for a long time now)

Of course I do have my OH (She hates it if she sees me sitting around doing nothing and the dogs always want their walk in the afternoon) so I need more time alone not less
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 02:15 PM

In my 6 months of semi-retirement the biggest obstacle may be occupying your time.
you`re `aving a laugh! as we say in Essex. Time is the one thing I definitely don`t have enough of! There aren`t enough hours in the day, Bob.
There`s painting and courses and volunteering and dogs and chatting and gardening and running kids groups and reading and going out with friends and going places.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk

22-01-2011, 02:16 PM

Losos: One of my hobbies in my past was woodworking. I used to make anything out of wood such as furniture, coat & hat racks, Bathroom & kitchen goodies like spice rack, towel bars, medicine cabinets & light fixtures. The hobby was very fulfilling but has to be a thing of the past now because of where I live.
Just about the only thing which persuaded me to move East (Away from England) was that property here in Eastern Europe is so amazingly cheap and we were able to buy a small farm with a bit of land and a huge old barn which is now my workshop. I would be in there every day except that right now it's very cold so it tends to be a Spring to Autumn hobby. It is kinda fullfilling to hold something in ones hands and say "I made that" not some mass produced plastic rubbish with cheap hinges and a lock that doesn't work

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top