Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2017, 02:31 PM

Re: Milton Keynes

Pretty sure the Open University is still there.It was at Walton Hall, about 4 miles from Central MK.

I well remember the plastic cows though! and the many roundabouts. Apart from my own little area where I lived in Blakelands, I usually got lost very easily. The shopping centre was operational back then but in the middle of being expanded. MK seemed to be one massive building project. They always had a great outdoor market though.
We preferred to dine out and have a drink just down the road in Newport Pagnell at weekends rather than use the newly built pubs which sprang up with each new area being built. NP always seemed to remain untouched and still village-like, regardless of what was happening to the beautiful countryside all around it.

As a matter of fact we went to visit relatives in Bedford a little while ago and decided to turn off at Junction 14 and take the back roads so we could take a drive past our old house from 45 years ago. I don't mean to be disrespectful to Milton Keynes but I wasn't too impressed and was glad to carry on out of there. My lovely little house looked rather shabby and unkempt compared to how it once was. (Lived in I suppose some would say) My goodness, I could not believe how tiny our very first house looked! a typical Matchbox house! Mind you, still loved it when we first moved in, it was perfect for just the two of us.

Guess I've lived in the countryside too long now to appreciate (New) towns like Milton Keynes and Telford It must be lovely for those who work either in or towards London though, as the lakes are still there and they really are beautiful still, and they must have everything one needs in the town too.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top