Join for free
Page 13 of 58 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 11:26 PM

Re: Gumbud Leisurely Scribbles (part 1)

Funny enough RJ I didn’t inherit my Dads big nose, out of the five offspring only the youngest brother sports the Roman nose. They have a strange expression for the youngest in large families over here, “Ah he’d be the shakings of the bag, God bless him” although you seldom here it said anymore, either PC or the days of the large familes are done with, gonna be tough for western countries to raise big armies in the future methinks, lets hope it won’t be necessary, I read somewhere that they are finding it hard to get recruits of the right weight and fitness at the present time.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 12:52 AM

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/of...fter-70-years/

what a lovely feel good story
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 11:06 PM

Yes a lovely story Gumbud, thanks for posting it.

I often think that gold, silver, and certain stones have magical properties. I remember once a traveller gave me a gold ring to take a couple of sizes out of it, I did but when I went to solder the ring back at the joining the solder just wouldn’t run for me no matter what I tried, when I brought it back to ask him about it he said it was his fathers ring and he took it unknowns to his father to have it sized as a surprise to him, it had been lying in a drawer for years as it was too big for his wedding finger. He came back the next day with his dad and I tried the ring on his finger, it was far too small for him so I had to put the piece I took out back into the ring, the solder flowed perfectly at the first try and when I finished and polished it it was a perfect fit. I could never figure that one out to this day. His wife had been dead for many years and he never remarried, strange but true.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2015, 04:49 AM

Running..............

I went running this morning! ........first down the stairs which is I might add a lot harder than running up them as there is a great danger of toppling...........then I remembered that I had forgotten to put me dressing gown on so..............yes you guessed it had to run up the stairs this time and I could feel the shortness of breath building up. As I hit the top of the stairs I did I quick turn to the right and sprinted down the landing to the spare bedroom. Afixed the dressing gown whilst running on the spot and then another landing sprint and the hazardous left gulley turn and the jaggered run down the stairs!...............

I was now at busting point, as we have no upstairs loo so sprinted through the kitchen doing several chincane pincer movements to reach the loo door which I discovered locked and was emitting strange coughing and farting sounds..............yes grandad had beat me to it...........so once more [shall I jog on the spot which seems to shake up the fluids or out into the garden were the cold air may calm things down?..........

I settled for the garden and now feeling the cool morning air and dew and fog and bird sounds headed up the stone pathway doing a quick double turn around the far clothes pole and back to the kitchen.............[what would I discover?]

grandad was just exiting the loo and normally I would give it a miss for a good 10 mins to let the fumes evaporate, but nature must so taking a deep breathe in I went had a long hard pee which produced copious clouds of steam and jogged my way to bed exhausted..........but before slumbering checked my sturdy wrist stopwatch cum swiss army knife and discovered that I had clipped off 3 amazing seconds from yesterdays exact same run..............see you on my next running escapade where grandad gets his just rewards!!

from the house-trained road runner!
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2015, 08:33 AM

TRuly a breath of fresh air GUMBUD.

How come your nickname is GUMBUD, I have often wondered if it is something to do with EUCALYPTUS trees.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

12-03-2015, 08:49 AM

well it'somethin to do with Australia that's for sure!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

12-03-2015, 12:23 PM

I know the aroma well Gumbud, I had a Grandad like that, I used to aim for the bowl then stick me head out the window when I went in after him.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

12-03-2015, 01:06 PM

today I introduced grandad to the fine art of indoor running!................I realized he had a problem often getting to the loo on time thus the large amount of pyjama trousers on the outdoor line [we are currently saving for a electrical clothes dryer!] I awoke him at his customary time of 6am exclaiming "loo grandad" when we got to the top of the stairs he looked at me in disbelief - " jog down the stairs grandad I muttered" he started off quite well and then tripped at the halfway mark and summersaulted the rest -quite amazing really for a 95 yr old. I did my now customary high knee shuffle down and picked him up at the bottom. "now grandad I muttered we have to do a steady jog chicaning around the kitchen table to the loo. "chicaning he gulp is that painful?"

"no I explained just duck and weave a little" I steadied him at each turn and as he approached the loo door pushed him gentle into the rocking chair and dash into the freshly smelling loo myself.

As I weezed and strained I could hear him farting outside and catching his breath at the same time. My need was greater so I left him too it. All went silent and I finished off loading and appeared into a silent kitchen he had fallen asleep. Ah well may as well finish my sprint in the garden this time doing a double circuit passed the gooseberry bushes and falling into the cabbage plot - surfaced covered in snails and then twice around the clothes line and back into the kitchen. Grandad was still sleeping so I lifted him to full height manoeured him onto the loo and left him there gently whispering into his ear 'let if drop"!

I closed the door and continued jogging on the spot until I heard him fall off the loo! He had awoken and looked dazed but I smartly erected him and said "OK pops back to bed, get those legs moving again" he amazingly staggered up the stairs this time with his trousers around his ankles and loo paper blowing in the breeze. I propped him back in bed and contemplated a jog in the nearby spinney but then decided that outdoors was for another day.

Note to self : get grandad X-rayed sometime this week to determine future running capability!

Maybe I could get the rest of the family into this fracase?

I do love a good run in the mornings!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

12-03-2015, 02:13 PM

I formed a mental picture of all that Gumbud, very funny.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2015, 09:50 PM

In the post Gumbud.....
An application for the Goolagong Half Marathon in May.
Fosters are covering the drinks stations.
I've been so impressed with you training, looking forward to reading your report....good luck.

Page 13 of 58 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top