Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 07:16 PM

Re: Would you wear fur ?

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
What is the difference between lambs being slaughtered for their skins rather than meat?
Lambs being bred and slaughtered for meat is to feed people. Lambs, or any other animals, being bred and slaughtered for their skins alone is for vanity, to adorn our homes and bodies etc.

If the skin is a by product of food production then fair enough.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have seen videos of it and believe me, you wouldn't want to see it.
I would wish to see it, to suss it out for myself.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I hate fur even the artificial kind. It gives me the creeps.

My evil stepmother has a mink coat and a couple of dead foxes she liked to hang around her neck. They suited her
So......not even a domestic cat jacket?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2018, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I hate fur even the artificial kind. It gives me the creeps.

My evil stepmother has a mink coat and a couple of dead foxes she liked to hang around her neck. They suited her
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2018, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
Lambs being bred and slaughtered for meat is to feed people. Lambs, or any other animals, being bred and slaughtered for their skins alone is for vanity, to adorn our homes and bodies etc.

If the skin is a by product of food production then fair enough.

I used to make lovely sheepskin rugs when I lived in Scotland, I would buy the skins for less than a pound from the butchers slaughterhouse, salt and cure the skins and make bedside rugs, it was very hard work and took several weeks to make a rug.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2018, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
I used to make lovely sheepskin rugs when I lived in Scotland, I would buy the skins for less than a pound from the butchers slaughterhouse, salt and cure the skins and make bedside rugs, it was very hard work and took several weeks to make a rug.
I have a sheep skin, which is on the back of my chair in the sitting room, my husband gave it to me as a present years ago.
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 02:27 PM

I think it was Countryfile i was watching at the weekend, and they were talking about fur. Two women had faux fur bobble hats, but when they cut a sample off and sent them for testing, one was real fur. They were talking about how cruel it was to farm animals just to get their fur, but then made a point of something i'd never thought of before. Faux fur is made of a mix of synthetic fibres (plastic). And while it's getting made into bobble hats, some fibres as they get washed, end up going down the drain. And we all know the amount of damage that plastic finding it's way into our seas & oceans is doing.
So should we kill rabbits to get real fur, or use plastic fur, and kill all the dolphins ?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 12:01 AM

I saw that programme Sam indeed it was what prompted this thread .
It brought up the same question are we actually damaging the environment more by not using fur .
I would ( but don't ) wear rabbit after all I wear leather boots and carry a leather handbag if animals are being killed for meat why not use their fur ?
In this weather it would be very nice to have a sheepskin coat !
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 12:19 AM

I've only just come across this thread but thought I'd add to it............. My French grandmother died in Paris many years ago and I had to go and sort out her house & funeral. In the house I found three fur coats, one of which I brought back to the UK and had professionally cleaned, identified and valued. It's a truly beautiful coat - three quarter length, white fur with black areas and probably dates back to the 1950's. It was identified as Snow Leopard !!!! It's now pretty old and the skin has dried and cracked. I'd love to sell it, but I cannot prove how old it is - which is required for a cites certificate and it's a shame just to throw it away...........any ideas?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 12:22 AM

Snow leopard !
I would hide it you may get covered with paint !
Perhaps a museum of fashion would like it .

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top