Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2015, 05:52 PM

Re: Buying from Overseas On-line

Twiz take a look at the craft stuff on AliExpress, terrific selection and very cheap, I think you’d like it knowing how gifted you are with your hands.
I was looking at some mad hats and ordered two from them for a bit of fun, a cream trilby type and a military style cap, all for 12 euros post free, they take about three weeks to arrive.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2015, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I've never ordered from the USA, but I've recently bought things on-line from Germany with no problems or unexpected charges. Also had the bonus of a good exchange rate.
I've recently bought an iMac and a powerful server from Germany. Both have proved to be great buys, especially the server as it was under-priced by at least £1000; though the iMac was all in German (didn't think of that doh!)! Both bought off Ebay.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2015, 07:16 PM

Good for you Mark. I never considered buying anything from Germany online, always thought it was a very expensive country, but now I will definitely have a look.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2015, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Good for you Mark. I never considered buying anything from Germany online, always thought it was a very expensive country, but now I will definitely have a look.
It cost 100 euros postage for the server as it is one humungous bit of kit - too much for one man to lift. Even with the cost added on it still proved to be far cheaper than any UK equivalent. Not saying German shops are cheaper than here - far from it - but in the computer world (especially the server world) there are times when companies have a glut of a certain type owing to some IT company upgrading. Could easily set up a business flogging the kit this particular German company are selling as the UK profit margin would be considerable.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

21-05-2015, 08:26 PM

I ordered a pack of 10 high speed twist drills, very tiny only 1mm. from Aliexpress and they arrived this morning, I tried one out and it does the job I want it to do perfectly, I’m saying this because I have to do a lot of small drilling in my work and can’t be without small drills. Up till now I have been buying my drills from a jewellers tool suppliers in town and they cost me 15 euros a pack of 6, this pack of 10 cost me 88 cents post free! a bargain or what? Albeit I had to wait 3 weeks for them to arrive but it was worth the wait, I won’t be buying them in town anymore that’s for sure.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Thanks for the info Twiz - so far I've not ordered from abroad - don't think I will .........
In addition to Import Duty, VAT, and Royal Mail handling charge there is also the exchange rate which can move against you and make the basic cost of the item more expensive. There is confusion in the general public mind because:-
a) They don't realise that the USA is NOT in the Eurozone therefore Import Duty will apply above a certain price level.
b) They don't expect to be hit for VAT but it will apply wherever you buy from.
c) The Post Office handling charge for non EU goods (although a shock to some) is in fact fair because there's a heck of a lot of paperwork to be filled in for Customs & Excise if it is comming from outside the EU

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I've never ordered from the USA, but I've recently bought things on-line from Germany with no problems or unexpected charges. Also had the bonus of a good exchange rate.
Ordering stuff from any EU country is much easier than from RoW (Rest of World) no import duty, VAT roughly same as UK, and less or no handling charge. Plus in your case Grumblewagon a first class product (Being made in Germany )

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I didn’t think you’d have to pay VAT on goods from the USA Twiz, I thought you all had a “Special Relationship” with them.
Hi Jem, one pays VAT on goods wherever they come from, that 'special relationship' aint all it's cracked up to be
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 06:58 AM

I have brought Craft Dies from 'Spellbinders' in Phoenix, Arizona and have, so far, not had any problems either with Customs or the Post Office.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top