Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2015, 09:38 AM

Re: The country code

I was once given a sound licking-yes licking not kicking by a cow. I was fishing when a few cows wondered up-one must have thought my coat looked tasty.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2015, 06:37 PM

We obviously spent over an hour trying to find another way out, but apart from swimming over a river, or walking a few miles back, it wasn't going to happen. I'm now glad we did what we did and gave them a wide berth, whilst quietly walking past them. At that point they looked completely unperturbed. Quietness and respect is the key some of the time. I suppose it depends on their own temperament.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2015, 09:06 AM

I spent my childhood around farms, fields and parks, cows, sheep and deer and still I will not walk past a herd of cows, I donīt trust them. I used to feel safe when they were at the other side of a wall, until that is I saw one knock a dry stone wall down and get itself to the other side. We also have a farmer friend who was put into hospital for quite some time by a ram. When I worked at the NFU I came across many "accidents" and deaths involving domesticated animals. Funnily enough the sacred cows in India, which wander about everywhere, didnīt worry me at all, I guess they are very used to dogs, people, noise and traffic.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2015, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I spent my childhood around farms, fields and parks, cows, sheep and deer and still I will not walk past a herd of cows, I donīt trust them. I used to feel safe when they were at the other side of a wall, until that is I saw one knock a dry stone wall down and get itself to the other side. We also have a farmer friend who was put into hospital for quite some time by a ram. When I worked at the NFU I came across many "accidents" and deaths involving domesticated animals. Funnily enough the sacred cows in India, which wander about everywhere, didnīt worry me at all, I guess they are very used to dogs, people, noise and traffic.
Yes I have to be honest and say I'm not that happy to do it again. We passed lots of cows on our walk yesterday, but thankfully they were behind fences. Phew
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2015, 11:59 AM

Having been around them all my life I would never trust a herd of cows. They can easily get spooked and if you are in the way tough.

Some years ago while on a public footpath I walked through a gateway from one field to another with my dog Amy and realized too late I was walking between a mother and her calf as she came for us. I picked up Amy and went back into the first field hoping the cow would go to the calf and not follow and thank goodness she did. I had to walk miles around to get to my destination.

We have a lot of common land around here with grazing rights crissed crossed by public footpaths and there have been some very nasty incidents involving cattle injuring walkers and dogs.

If possible I always walk around the side of a herd staying close to the hedge never through it keeping a close eye on them all the time. It is advised to let a dog off the lead if you are being chased but I could never do that .
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

10-05-2015, 12:35 PM

Yes, we avoided eye contact and walked alongside a fence. It was a walkway, but we also have to remember it belongs to the farmer and we have to respect that.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

21-05-2015, 10:27 AM

I spoke to a farmer the other day and asked about cows. He said you can pass them face on, but never turn your back on them. Keep eye contact and if they come towards you then shoo them away with your hands and they will go. He did say they hate dogs and will attack them.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top