Join for free
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2015, 10:06 PM

Phyllis Nicklin

My big regret was not taking photo's of the changing area where I grew up, this lady did this maybe unknowingly on my, and others behalf, take a few minutes to search Phyllis Nicklin.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2015, 10:22 PM

Re: Phyllis Nicklin

There are some terrific scenes there Spitty, a lot of them very much like the Dublin of old. Great that folks like her took the trouble to record them.
This one caught my eye as it reminded me of back in the 1950’s there was only one car on our street, yes I know there are more than one in the photo but one sticks out and it is exactly like the one on our street then, it was owned by the only man who went out to work in a suit, found out years later he worked in the tax office.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2015, 10:30 PM

Jem, my missing link does not reside eons ago, there is something poignant held in images such as the one you have posted, something magical.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2015, 06:51 AM

My local paper often puts up photos of areas from just a few decades ago, its fascinating to see how things change so rapidly in just a lifetime. One of my favourites is Jimmy Forsythe.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2015, 08:47 AM

This is a coincidence Spitty
Yesterday I found a map site where you can look up and down any street.
With great emotion, I did this where I lived in London.
I lived in a maisonette - as I ventured there I was amazed by the scenes.
My flat was no more, in fact the whole area had been razed and new buildings put up. Who ever designed it was remarkable, what a transformation, absolutely beautiful - I hope the people residing there appreciate the surroundings. There is so much more housing but beautifully constructed with extra parking - which we didn't need back then .......
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2015, 03:26 PM

Are you talking about Google Street View, Patsy? I go there a lot & look at places where me or my Family used to live. It is fascinating.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2015, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Are you talking about Google Street View, Patsy? I go there a lot & look at places where me or my Family used to live. It is fascinating.
This is the one I used - its a bit tricky though to manoeuvre .... but I got the gist of it .......

http://www.earth-scout.com/
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
This is the one I used - its a bit tricky though to manoeuvre .... but I got the gist of it .......

http://www.earth-scout.com/
That takes you to Google, Patsy. I have Google earth/street view in my bookmark bar.
https://www.google.com/earth/

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top