Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 08:35 AM

sat nav

I've decided to buy a sat nav, I get stressed when driving in areas I don't know and hope sat nav will get me there . I'm a townie driver where most people are polite , yet when I leave my town I find myself caught up in fast aggressive traffic who don't allow for mistakes like being in the wrong lane or a moment's hesitation. Hopefully sat nav won't get me too lost but at least it will get me there ! Even if it's the long way round . I just don't have a map in my head , wish I did ! Do you use one , or are you able to negotiate your way round confusing roads .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 08:45 AM

Re: sat nav

Yes we have one and I spend many a journey arguing with it turn around it says - where I say, turn a round it says - in a minute I shout, turn around it says - wait I can't I shout.

Takes all the stress out of driving

No seriously I wouldn't be without it, it does get me where I need to be if I do exactly what it says.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 08:46 AM

We have one.. she stutters at 800 ...meters.
Seriously shes fine at every other distance and turning but the 800 meter mark is obviously a difficult one..
I say her because OH made the thing female and Irish..
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I've decided to buy a sat nav, I get stressed when driving in areas I don't know and hope sat nav will get me there . I'm a townie driver where most people are polite , yet when I leave my town I find myself caught up in fast aggressive traffic who don't allow for mistakes like being in the wrong lane or a moment's hesitation. Hopefully sat nav won't get me too lost but at least it will get me there ! Even if it's the long way round . I just don't have a map in my head , wish I did ! Do you use one , or are you able to negotiate your way round confusing roads .
I have used one for years. The only problem with them is that you take longer to learn a regular route because it is too easy just to do what the Satnav says without remembering what you have done.

In Australia you don't really need one to get from town to town there aren't that many roads so you can just follow signposts but they are terrific when you get to a town and need to find the motel or street where you are staying (or to get from where you are staying to the highway).

Likewise in cities like Sydney or Melbourne where driving is a nightmare. The other thing I like is that they tell you your actual speed rather than the make believe figure your speedo tells you.

My new(er) one tells you the lanes you need to be in but it lacks some of the facilities of the old one where you could plan routes in advance and select stopping points. However this one was only about $100 whereas my original one was many times that cost.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 09:03 AM

I too have used one for many years and I wouldn't be without it now.
DerekP
Leeds, United Kingdom
DerekP is male  DerekP has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 09:54 AM

I use mine a lot - how else can you get home from the pub?
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by DerekP ->
I use mine a lot - how else can you get home from the pub?
And here I was thinking drunk men were like homing pigeons..
No matter how much drink they have home is imprinted on their brain....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 11:02 AM

I don't have one, I tend only to drive in areas I know these days . My reactions are not what they once were and I can't do with being hassled by other drivers.

If I go anywhere unfamiliar I Google the trip and print it out then familiarise myself with the journey.
When we go on holiday I still take a map and a print out although my son and DIL have sat nav, 'old habits die hard'
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 11:48 AM

Even better bargain than I thought . I found an old argos energy card which had been sent years ago by my southern electric provider , it seems they added £s to this card over the years without me realising. I ordered sat nav from argos last night , found this old card at bottom of draw , decided to take it with me , expecting nothing , guess what ......£40 was on it , so after deducting this surprise amount sat nav cost me £29 . Bargain ! What a surprise . Happy days 😀
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 12:36 PM

I only refer to mine, to find out how far there is to go, and at what time I can be expected to arrive. I like to make my mind up which route to take to avoid local travel problems etc, it's like returning home on say the M40, traffic is grinding to a halt, so you decide to cut across country, the sat nav spends the next ten miles trying to get you back on the motorway, so you stop and re-programme for the shortest route, you then end up going down bonkers little lanes to nowhere, at this point I switch the sat nav off, and get the trusty map out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top