Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2017, 06:55 PM

Re: MKJ's Music Choices

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Finger picks have arrived . Fit perfectly too. I've attempted to play but I can't for the life remember the pieces I learned from books but I can remember my own compositions - emotional attachment no-doubt. Only thing is the pain. Just pressing down on one string with my little finger hurts like hell. Will take a while before my fingers harden again, in the meantime I will have to suffer for my cause.
It's all too easy to forget tracks when not played for a while Mark.
When we used to gig, I'd remember circa 40 tracks easily.
I used to be able to play for example Sultans of Swing blindfolded. I dare say I can only remember 40/50% of it now and would need a refresher. Some tracks I can't remember at all and would have to start again!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 11:02 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r9N9er_i84
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 09:56 AM

By the looks of it Acoustic Labs musical nomenclature is available online for 5 bucks a pop. I might well download some and have a go at playing some of it. TearDrop - (Massive Attack) is available. Would love to be able to play such a tune.

Acoustic Labs's Shop
https://www.e-junkie.com/ejm/acousticlabs
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 10:33 PM

Great stuff. Thanks for posting
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Great stuff. Thanks for posting
No finger picks involved
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
No finger picks involved
even more impressive

Is a finger pick the same as a plectrum?
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 11:10 PM

even more impressive

Is a finger pick the same as a plectrum?

Finger picks are a bit like false nails

They are metal or plastic and they cover the tips of the fingers (like a thimble with pointy bits)
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

10-05-2017, 11:26 PM

Finger picks are a bit like false nails

They are metal or plastic and they cover the tips of the fingers (like a thimble with pointy bits)
Thanks for explaining. I remember learning to play acoustic guitar and it was really tough on the nails. I think I gave up because it hurt my fingers and would have meant cutting my nails short! (that seemed too big a sacrifice aged 20). I managed to learn "House of the Rising Sun" and a little bit of stairway to Heaven although it was always easier to ask guys to play it for me.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

10-05-2017, 11:33 PM

Thanks for explaining. I remember learning to play acoustic guitar and it was really tough on the nails. I think I gave up because it hurt my fingers and would have meant cutting my nails short! (that seemed too big a sacrifice aged 20). I managed to learn "House of the Rising Sun" and a little bit of stairway to Heaven although it was always easier to ask guys to play it for me.
yes me too

Scoolfriends and I bought acoustic guiters.

House of the Rising Sun was 'Really Good' especially trying to do a raspy male voice lol
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 06:46 AM

No finger picks involved
I've tried finger picks but find them almost impossible to use - they feel so clumsy. I prefer the Mark Knopfler style - just using the finger tips. Much more responsive. I learned by watching Davey Graham and John Martyn when I was a 15yr old.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top