Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
graculus
Yorkshire
graculus is male  graculus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2016, 01:46 PM

Re: Robert Plant & Jimmmy Page in Court

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
One of my all-time favourite "bands" was the Steve Miller Band.
In every one of his albums you hear echoes of other bands but it was, to me, brilliantly done and worth listening too.

Circle of Love was my favourite album - unfortunately it's just a noise now.
Maybe after my Cochlear Implant, who knows....? stevmk2
Don't know that one but I always gravitate towards Sailor when it comes to Steve Miller. The entire album is here

Makes me think of long summer days and nights...
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2016, 01:53 PM

They have got form afraid had to pay out to bluesman Willie Dixon over Whole Lotta love, also to others from the first two albums
graculus
Yorkshire
graculus is male  graculus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2016, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
They have got form afraid had to pay out to bluesman Willie Dixon over Whole Lotta love, also to others from the first two albums
Wasn't when the levee breaks on Zep 4 nicked from a 1920s Memphis Minnie number? have to look that one up. Not sure it was credited on the original album but if it was it probably said 'trad arranged by...'
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2016, 02:15 PM

Quite possible think if they had name checked some of there sources may have saved em a bob or two Mind you i think because of the success of the albums it may well have got a lot of these bluesmen a bit of attention.

I love Robert Plants later4 solo work back to his roots and inspired covers. His Hey Joe wipes the floor with both the original and Hendrix version.
graculus
Yorkshire

12-04-2016, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Quite possible think if they had name checked some of there sources may have saved em a bob or two Mind you i think because of the success of the albums it may well have got a lot of these bluesmen a bit of attention.

I love Robert Plants later4 solo work back to his roots and inspired covers. His Hey Joe wipes the floor with both the original and Hendrix version.
His version of Hey Joe might be interesting (as is his later take on Black Dog) but it's not that good, certainly nowhere near JH. His version of Morning Dew is interesting but I think I prefer the Dead's take on it, especially any number of live versions although the studio is quite a fun psychedelic romp, if a song about nuclear destruction can be described as fun.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2016, 02:24 PM

Nice one
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2016, 02:26 PM

Copyright law, in music, is exceedingly difficult to prove. I enquired years ago over a song I had written, the main melody line had been 'nicked'.

I had even taken the precaution of posting the manuscript to myself as soon as I had written it, so that I had a Royal Mail official date stamp directly on to the reverse of my manuscript ! Even so the lawyer I spoke to said that there was not enough of the melody on the 'new' song to guarantee winning the case, and it would be so costly to bring to court ! I didn't take it any further. The group I was in at the time "Unit Three Plus One" made a 'demo' disc at the back end of 1969 with four tracks on it (an EP) and one of those tracks was "Silently", it became obvious to us that record companies 'nicked' original songs from such 'soft pressings - demo discs' knowing full well that it was highly unlikely that any of the original writers would sue them, because of the high court costs.

This is the song that had 'nicked' my melody line.
My song was called 'Silently' and the 'new' song was entitled 'Today I killed a man I didn't know' and was recorded by several well known artistes ! A friend of mine rang me up to tell me they had just heard it on the radio, on a program that played the 'B' side of various 'Hits'. My melody was on the 'B' side of "My Baby Loves Lovin'" by White Plains in early 1970, I think (It may have been "Julie Do Ya Love Me?" out at the back end of 1970).

My song was a love song, but the 'new' song was an anti war song about the American Civil War !

On YouTube, various people recorded this song -

Words & Music credits go to Roger Cook and Roger Greenaway. (no mention of Gill Dixon !!!! grrrrrrrrrr)

The Fortunes, Nash Chase, White Plains, P. J. Proby, Roger Cook (ex David & Jonathon), Edward Woodward, The Family Dogg, Masanobu Tadeta.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2016, 02:26 PM

Now you are talking graculus Small Faces x
Goldielocks
Spain

12-04-2016, 02:30 PM

How annoying GillyT or more than that x
graculus
Yorkshire

12-04-2016, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Goldielocks ->
Now you are talking graculus Small Faces x
Love 'um. They released the Colour Me Pop '68 material on DVD not so long ago, but messed it up of course by sticking interviews in between every track. Luckily I have a very nice low gen copy on DVD already. However it can be seen here in reasonable quality.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top