Join for free
Page 36 of 72 « First < 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 > Last »
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2017, 06:11 PM

Re: Over 50s Club Yorkshire

Primus, none of us older folk like the way the town has developed with the funfares etc and it's just a pity they're in the centre of town. Unfortunately they are needed to attract younger folk to the town and this has certainly been a bumper year! Stick to either end and it's much the same as it always was.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2017, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
Primus, none of us older folk like the way the town has developed with the funfares etc and it's just a pity they're in the centre of town. Unfortunately they are needed to attract younger folk to the town and this has certainly been a bumper year! Stick to either end and it's much the same as it always was.
Very true, Val. I believe all seaside towns have a funfair of some description anyway. I would have thought the main reason a family go to the seaside is to keep the kids entertained and a funfair encourages that.

True, Bridlington isn't as good as it used to be but then when you're younger everything seems more fun doesn't it?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2017, 07:11 PM

Looking at the two towns on Google Earth (as I haven't been to either in a very long time), Withernsea looks at least to be by the sea whereas Skipsea is quite inland and the sea is remote and at the end of a long road. In fact, there doesn't seem to be anything there apart from a few isolated buildings and, of course, as I remembered it, a caravan park to the north. It looks a singularly boring little town.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 10:11 AM

YORKSHIRE INDEPENDENCE

http://news.sky.com/story/is-the-sta...shire-11072838

When I first heard about this the other day I thought it was a bit of a joke, but having read this article and listened to the TV news it seems that they are quite serious.

And why not?

Scotland has its own parliament, and its population is the same as Yorkshire; Wales and Northern Ireland too, and they are both minuscule in comparison!

I don't realistically expect Yorkshire to become an independent country, just as an independent Scotland wouldn't work (as has been discussed before).

However, to have a greater degree of independence and the ability to make our own decisions for our own benefit would be welcome.

In all seriousness, what do others think?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 11:39 AM

I haven't had time to read the article JBR I will later but my initial reaction is YES! The north south divide is just getting wider we need someone to look after the interests of Yorkshire, maybe not full independence more like wales maybe
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-10-2017, 01:33 PM

In all seriousness, the south of England seems to have the best of it, but then they award Scotland more per head of population than the average for England. God knows why.

If Scotland deserves such special treatment, why not the north of England. And, yes, we'd allow Lancashire to join us too.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 09:15 PM

Depends who's going to run it - I wouldn't trust any Yorkshire based MPs ensconced in Westminster to form a Yorkshire parliament. All that useless lot should be swept away and not be allowed to stand in the new YP. New and fresh (and competent) representatives should be elected with no party affiliations so that the good of Yorkshire comes first. Think of it as a Roman type Senate with no real leader and with any actions being taken by a majority decision.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-10-2017, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Depends who's going to run it - I wouldn't trust any Yorkshire based MPs ensconced in Westminster to form a Yorkshire parliament. All that useless lot should be swept away and not be allowed to stand in the new YP. New and fresh (and competent) representatives should be elected with no party affiliations so that the good of Yorkshire comes first. Think of it as a Roman type Senate with no real leader and with any actions being taken by a majority decision.
I agree.

We'd need a separate Yorkshire Parliament with two houses: Commons and Senate - both elected, no peers of any description.

Better still, we'd be best with our own political parties having no connection to any existing party. A bit like that Plad Cimru thing in Wales, only better!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2017, 05:32 AM

Sounds good to me, keep the present political egos out of it, particularly Ed Balls a possible suggested Mayor in the article. I think my Son in law would move to Lancashire if that happened.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2017, 06:20 AM

Hi

I have a trip to Knaresbourgh soon, I may get a couple of hours fishing in while I am there, just like old times.

Page 36 of 72 « First < 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top