Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2013, 09:26 AM

Re: Areas to live in

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
It's very continental

Not as cold as Wales We have the gulf stream that keeps the extreme colder temperatures away and our summers have been getting warmer year by year so all in all, it's very pleasant (but not today, or yesterday, or the day before that ).
Just looking at some weather maps and it doesn't seem so bad there - will upload them when I get five mins
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2013, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Just looking at some weather maps and it doesn't seem so bad there - will upload them when I get five mins
The biggest plus of all, imo, is that it has to be the least judgemental place to live; they just don't care if you're rich, poor, fat, thin, famous, unknown - as long as someone is nice and law abiding, they welcome you with open arms; that's nice.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2013, 09:30 AM

Hope this works for you
This is my area
http://www.leboncoin.fr/ventes_immob...mmunes%2011380

if your a pensioner its free if still working age if you pay your taxes here some is free but you take out a top insurance to cover the rest I have never done it as hubbies work covers me in his world wide helth insurance.
I believe its about 1000e a year for a couple but dont quote me on that . But what you save on heating water rates and poll tax more than makes up for that amount ....
if your seriously interested I can point you to some forums for french expats who will answer those kind of questions
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2013, 09:34 AM

Oooo - I like the house - 2nd picture down, love balconys, never had one ...
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2013, 12:15 PM

I was going to say N.E. Scotland.... All the things on your list .. BUT.... NO Waitrose. Nearest one to me is 175 miles, but if it was on my doorstep, I probably wouldn't use it.

We do have traditional butchers, bakers and fishmongers, but no greengrocers (need to use supermarkets or farm shops).
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2013, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I was going to say N.E. Scotland.... All the things on your list
Are you having a laugh?

Azz said "Somewhere that is reasonably dry and sunny,
Somewhere that is not expensive"
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2013, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Can you think of any areas that meet this criteria?

Somewhere that is reasonably dry and sunny
Somewhere that is not expensive
Somewhere where there isn't too much crime
Somewhere that doesn't suffer immigration problems

Don't mind cities or the countryside, so long as we're within a 20 minute drive of a Waitrose though I would probably prefer countryside tbh

I love it here in Wales, but it is just too damp and wet :?
Aha now I see why you were looking at all those weather maps on Dogsey
We are in the process of moving (back to) East Anglia and from those weather maps it seems to be the driest and sunnyest of all the UK, and I can confirm that crime is incredibly low in the rural villages (most of them anyway) Cost of living is not the lowest it's true but not too bad if you keep away from Norwich, Cambridge, Ipswich etc. As for immigration problems, well there are a good number of different nationalities but in the rural areas these seem to be well integrated, unfortunately (like all cities) the problems in Norwich, Cambridge, Ipswich are somewhat greater.

So come and join us Lynn is already on her way and I hope I won't be too long behind her

ETA:-
There are plenty of Waitrose outlets dotted around, I can definately confirm there is one in Bury St. Edmunds.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2013, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Exactly Azz - I say to Hubs - at least once a week ! Would be loverly, where money is no object, to 'choose' where we live, would be fun investigating places wouldn't it.....
It's fun looking, even if we can't afford it Pat - go on, join in and tell me where you'd love to live

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
The biggest plus of all, imo, is that it has to be the least judgemental place to live; they just don't care if you're rich, poor, fat, thin, famous, unknown - as long as someone is nice and law abiding, they welcome you with open arms; that's nice.
Sounds like a great place - have you ever lived there? got any photos?

Originally Posted by Nobaggage ->
Hope this works for you
This is my area
http://www.leboncoin.fr/ventes_immob...mmunes%2011380

if your a pensioner its free if still working age if you pay your taxes here some is free but you take out a top insurance to cover the rest I have never done it as hubbies work covers me in his world wide helth insurance.
I believe its about 1000e a year for a couple but dont quote me on that . But what you save on heating water rates and poll tax more than makes up for that amount ....
if your seriously interested I can point you to some forums for french expats who will answer those kind of questions
Thanks! Some lovely properties there... and look at all that gorgeous countryside

I think a few years ago I'd have jumped to it, but now since feeling unwell I am not sure I could cope with it all tbh

But never say never!

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I was going to say N.E. Scotland.... All the things on your list .. BUT.... NO Waitrose. Nearest one to me is 175 miles, but if it was on my doorstep, I probably wouldn't use it.

We do have traditional butchers, bakers and fishmongers, but no greengrocers (need to use supermarkets or farm shops).
I like traditional butchers, shops etc too in fact I would prefer that over Waitrose if they could get grass fed beef, organic chicken etc (I need to win the lottery first tho!)

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
Are you having a laugh?

Azz said "Somewhere that is reasonably dry and sunny,
Somewhere that is not expensive"
Hehe

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Aha now I see why you were looking at all those weather maps on Dogsey
We are in the process of moving (back to) East Anglia and from those weather maps it seems to be the driest and sunnyest of all the UK, and I can confirm that crime is incredibly low in the rural villages (most of them anyway) Cost of living is not the lowest it's true but not too bad if you keep away from Norwich, Cambridge, Ipswich etc. As for immigration problems, well there are a good number of different nationalities but in the rural areas these seem to be well integrated, unfortunately (like all cities) the problems in Norwich, Cambridge, Ipswich are somewhat greater.

So come and join us Lynn is already on her way and I hope I won't be too long behind her

ETA:-
There are plenty of Waitrose outlets dotted around, I can definately confirm there is one in Bury St. Edmunds.
Can you imagine that Harvey? We'd run riot

I have never been up that way and have always wanted to visit Cambridge... might do it one day
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2013, 07:32 AM

How about Cornwall Azz ... it has most of your points althought it does rain alot, but when the sun is shining it can be the most beuitiful place in the world some days ... Not much crime, friendly villagers even a waitrose and they deliver to your door... Dont ever get much snow there or frost.
IN FACT !!! I have a house there you could rent for a few months if you want a tester...
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

06-10-2013, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Nobaggage ->
How about Cornwall Azz ... it has most of your points althought it does rain alot, but when the sun is shining it can be the most beuitiful place in the world some days ... Not much crime, friendly villagers even a waitrose and they deliver to your door... Dont ever get much snow there or frost.
IN FACT !!! I have a house there you could rent for a few months if you want a tester...
Yep Cornwall and Devon are another two places I'm keen on

Does your house have broadband? A modern-ish interior? If we sell this place that might be a good option - rent in a few areas to see which ones we like best

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top