Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2015, 10:25 PM

another half hearted bodge by previous owner

leading to the back gate on goes under a wooden frame for the vine. On the end was a thin rope and a bit of string which has been annoying me since we moved in. So this afternoon i decided to get. rid of it. The stupid idiot that had this place before us had used the last overhead cross timber to hang a washing line on as well.

So I decided this string and thin rope was an eyesaw so cut it down. yes you guessed it, it was only being held up by this worn out thin rope and this end cross bar collapsed on one end and the other end attached to the upright support was held in with what??? yes another of his screws, and short ones at that.

So took that down the next cross bar was resting on the gutter on one end so that had to go as well. These cross timbers must be 6 ft long of 4x3? ,I dread to think what would have happended it they fell and hit someone. So this is now a shorted timber cover but safer

Taken just now with portable camera light on the camera
Tomorrow I will check the rest and fix firmly where necessary
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2015, 10:47 PM

Re: another half hearted bodge by previous owner

Don't talk to me about previous bodges Bazza. I've got to have a whole kitchen extension rebuilt because of the previous owners bodges, and I'm very worried about it all. Grrr...
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2015, 06:54 AM

Same here, why some people think they can do jobs themselves i'll never know, they just don't have the knack! Surely someone more reputable could have done it better for them?
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2015, 08:46 AM

We moved into a house which was basically in good condition, just needed redecoration & minor repairs. As we did, we found various bodges by the previous owner;

a built in wardrobe that covered one wall of a bedroom, including the window
tiling in the bathroom that was very poor & uneven; when we took it off we uncovered an old extractor fan that had been left in a wall
wall lights installed using telephone cable for the wiring

There were others; we called them 'Dennis jobs', after the previous owner.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2015, 10:03 AM

in this house it was sheer neglect by the previous owners was the main problem. I may have listed them before including a complete main bathroom refit including tiling and electrics- new boiler and rads-pumps-repaired/replaced window catches and handles-repaired door handles and locks- redecorating throughout and new carpets. outside moss removal and log store- flower beds work in progress. Total time to date around 9 months and cost around £15/20,000.
Having quoted costs the property has already increased in value by £35,000 at least if not more so not loosing out if push came to shove.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top