Join for free
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.
Malc.27 is male  Malc.27 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2016, 03:05 PM

Interest rates?

The banks state that interest rates (on savings accounts or credit cards) are linked to the Bank of England base rate - However the 'Base rate' hasn't changed for years, but interest rates on our savings are regularly being reduced and interest rates on 'Credit cards' etc are regularly increased.

Malc.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2016, 03:50 PM

Re: Interest rates?

Yes Malc, The Bank of England announced last year that interest rates would be going up. As a result the crafty banks lowered their saving rates so that when the expected rise took place , they could just raise rates back to what they were and pocket the new increase lending rate.

However the rate rise never happen, so deep joy the banks win again.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2016, 03:53 PM

Thank goodness for that. Poor things are probably down to their last £100billion

Goodness only knows what will happen when interest rates rise for borrowers. Housing crash I suppose; people posting their house keys back through bank letterboxes
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2016, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
Thank goodness for that. Poor things are probably down to their last £100billion

Goodness only knows what will happen when interest rates rise for borrowers. Housing crash I suppose; people posting their house keys back through bank letterboxes
Then again I remember not so long ago when I had zero savings and a lot of mortgage and the Bank Rate I believe was 17%, I survived .
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2016, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
Then again I remember not so long ago when I had zero savings and a lot of mortgage and the Bank Rate I believe was 17%, I survived .
Same here.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top